Know about scientology?

by ballistic 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Don't worry - I'm not thinking of joining. In fact I've heard lots of dodgey stories about them including them being a money grabbing, brain washing cult.
    Just wondered how wide spread they are though. They have a big base near here. Are they in your neck of the woods and have you had any experiences with them?

• Xander
    Xander

LOL @ ballistic. Never heard of a group of crackpots so deranged. They even put the WTBTS to shame.

The basic premise of their religion....well, here,let me quote:

On the "advanced" levels (called OT levels) above the state of "Clear" they encounter the story of Xenu. Xenu was supposed to have gathered up all the overpopulation in this sector of the galaxy, brought them to Earth and then exterminated them using hydrogen bombs. The souls of these murdered people are then supposed to infest the body of everyone. They are called "body thetans". On the advanced levels of Scientology a person "audits out" these body thetans telepathically by getting them to re-experience their being exterminated by hydrogen bombs. So people on these levels assume all their bad thoughts and faulty memories are due to these body thetans infesting every part of their body and influencing them mentally.
    Note that the 'audit out' process involves a personal scientology counsellor and BUCKETS OF MONEY.

Link to a pretty good (little bitter) anti-scientology site:
    http://www.xenu.net/roland-intro.html

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• spender
    spender

yea, xenu.net is a great resource. I would also recommend checking out the media section of the page for some good realmedia movies. If you want to see how much of jerks their leaders are, listen to these mp3s of (former?) president heber jentzsch...they'll make you laugh till you cry. I've never heard anyone yell "YOU!" in such a strong way....that's what they got for talking about his mother :)

http://grsecurity.net/4-03-02-scientology1.mp3
    http://grsecurity.net/4-03-02-scientology2.mp3

• seedy3
    seedy3

ballistic, here is a websight that has a lot of info on them and even delves into some of the secret stuff they teach. The guy is being sued by the scientologist to have it removed, that story is there too.

http://www.mystae.com/streams/menu.html

have fun

Seedy

• ballistic
    ballistic

Cheers for those guys. My main interest in this is simply that I often feel mad at how I was "taken in" by the dubs. Looking back, I often feel that I was a fool in view of my now scientific viewpoint. And then the more I learn, the more amazed I am that so many are hoodwinked. Looking at the figures of the millions, and then at other organisations such as scientology who I have had just enough experience of to know they are big trouble.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Scientology is everywhere, and has a substantial following, including John Travolta, Michael Jackson, and many other high profile people. My very first Bible Study was a 'minister' in the Church of Scientology. I didn't know they had such titles. Ha, I helped him leave the Scientology cult and join the Watchtower cult.

Not long ago, I posted a question to my legal resource site, and women responded with legal advice ... we exchanged email because I thought she was an attorney ... as it turned out she was a Scientologist, and using the opportunity to respond to my question. After several email, it was clear that she could not understand my angst with the Watchtower DF/DA policies. Her responses sounded like a JW with a different label.

I have no use for scientology. I read Ron Hubbard's book years ago, and have picked up some of their freebie literature at their book stores ... but it ALL lacks any real substance. The "Hook" is to make you think that you ar really on to something mentally and emotionally uniquely beneficial, but you can never quite get there from here ... there is always something missing, and you need to pay for the next level to get it, only to learn that there is yet another level of information.

The best way I can equate it would be for you to go into McDonalds and order a hamburger, but just get a bread crumb. When you pay for more, you get more crumbs ... and eventully a spot of catchup, a dab of sauce, then a speck of pickle, and a scent of onion ... in time, several weeks later, you get a crumb of hamburger ... and by the time you pay for, and get it all ... it will have taken 20 years, will be shriveled, and will have cost you $250,000. That is what Scientology is all about ... parsed out junk food posing as enlightened mental health ... that cost more than a house, for what should be less than $4.00, and something I would not feed my dog.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I have read some about scientology and still find it somewhat of a mystery. I read an article about them a few years back in Time magazine that spooks me, though. Seems that if an individual attempts to speak out unfavorable about them, that individual gets sued big time. I would gather that is probably the main reason there is not alot of books exposing them. The "Church" of Scientology has very deep pockets due to their tax exempt status and this keeps most people quiet about their negative experiences with them.

The one thing that disturbs me about them is their building of "Celebrity Centres". These seem to be a sort of luxury church/hotel for the wealthy. One doesn't necessarily have to be a celebrity, it's the fat bank account that counts. Indeed, having dough makes one a VIP with the Scientologists. I can recall reading in one of the books put out to promote scientology touted Celebrity Centres for (I paraphrase here)"Artists (movie and TV stars), etc. Because they have "special" needs that require"special" care. Of course, I translated that to "We-want-to-keep-them-away-from-you-peons-and-spoil-them-so-that-we-can-get-our-hands-on-their-money, care.

I am deeply suspicious of any organization that segregates it's members and will go to such great lengths to silence it's critics.

Andee

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Scientology, the cult no deprogrammer, no critic, no cult expert will touch.
    Theyre bad news. Theyre also bloody manipulative and bloody expensive to be involved with.
    I hear that first lesson you go to after signing up, you sit opposite some trainer and stare into each others eyes. That would alter your consciousness somewhat I reckon.
    Second lesson you sit staring into each others eyes but someone screams abuse and accusations in your ears.
    From there on, it gets interesting.

• greven
    greven

latest news I heard about them was that they send their lawyers out to threaten Google.com they were not happy about xenu.net turning up when entering scientology. Google did remove xenu.net from the links but only for one day as there was a huge public outrage about their actions. freedom of speech eh?

"Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground."
    -from "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett-

• ballistic
    ballistic

Basically, their head office is near my town centre so when new recruits say they cannot afford books and "auditing" they are told they can sell the books in the street and earn their requirements through gaining recruits. Interesting eh?
    It was off one such recruit I bought the book and went for one free hypnosis session. Close escape. After the auditing session (which felt like hypnosis and where I lost track of time) I was taken first to a seductive witch-like women who really entranced me further, and then on to a lab where I had to hold these metal cylinders connected to a machine with wires and answer questions. I presume some kind of lie detector.

An interesting footnote about the lie detector was that as she played with the knobs on the machine, I had like a surging sensation in my chest and I had to kind of cough to make my heart beat agian. Weird experience and I cannot explain it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit