Watchtower leadership say We Don't Make Rules!

by ozziepost 25 Replies latest jw friends

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

This is nothing new, they have always said that the organization does not live my laws but principles. They have always preached that they get their guidance from the scriptures. All Christian religions say the same thing but we have thousands of different faiths that intrepid the bible their own way. It just shows that you can interrupt the bible anyway you want. Good example is the blood issue. Why is it that the Jdubs are the only ones that don't take blood? How can anyone, in the first place, live their lives today in the 21 century on a book (a book full of myths, legends and superstitions) that was written and rewritten thousands of times?

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• SYN
    SYN

Sheesh, I didn't even KNOW that such a book existed. Would love to get my hands on it, although I have this feeling that reading it would be approximately as exciting as watching bread bake.

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

• SYN
    SYN

William Penwell: How can anyone, in the first place, live their lives today in the 21 century on a book (a book full of myths, legends and superstitions) that was written and rewritten thousands of times?

In the same way that people still get the common cold, something that happened with unfailing regularity even 2000, oh, 4000, well, a very long number of years ago. Viruses only die if they are either 1. Eridicated by medical means, or 2, their hosts die. I doubt that the second scenario is likely to happen anytime soon on this planet, so we'll have to go with the first!

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

THEN can U tell what is the Elders Handbook all about and why it is only available to Elders that they study out of at the Elders School that last I recall last for 2 weeks once a year -- please correct me if I am WRONG -- is it not FULL of rules and regulation that JWism is based on !!!---U may e-mail me at / [email protected] if you U so desire....LOV BEAR HUGS to all

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Principles and not rules eh? Which defintion of principles are they using? Would it be, oh I don't know, NUMBER ONE?:

Main Entry: prin·ci·ple
    Pronunciation: 'prin(t)-s(&-)p&l, -s&-b&l
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, modification of Middle French principe, from Latin principium beginning, from princip-, princeps initiator -- more at PRINCE
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : a comprehensive and fundamental law, doctrine, or assumption b (1) : a rule or code of conduct (2) : habitual devotion to right principles <a man of principle> c : the laws or facts of nature underlying the working of an artificial device
    2 : a primary source : ORIGIN
    3 a : an underlying faculty or endowment <such principles of human nature as greed and curiosity> b : an ingredient (as a chemical) that exhibits or imparts a characteristic quality
    4 capitalized, Christian Science : a divine principle : GOD
    - in principle : with respect to fundamentals <prepared to accept the proposition in principle>
    usage Although nearly every handbook and many dictionaries warn against confusing principle and principal, many people still do. Principle is only a noun; principal is both adjective and noun. If you are unsure which noun you want, read the definitions in this dictionary.

That straight from Merriam-Websters (the real websters)

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Does anyone know what the approx. cost of a BillBoard is?

I had a vision

In my surrounding communities there are a couple or so KHs near FWYs with Billboards just sorta h u v o r i n g.

I think this Scripture would look rather nice on one of those BIG BILLBOARDS. A community message. Of sorts. Perfectly harmless but noticable. and blunt.

. 1Cor. 4:6

"Do not go beyond the things that are written,..."
    . 1Cor. 4:6

plmkrzy of the posts too much because she has way too much time on her hands class.

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Plum,

'They'd' probably say they don't go beyond what is written, but it's the interpretation that's also part of the problem.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Since they don't make rules, I wonder if they have ever been known to make 'suggestions'? [8>]

I hate their damn word games.

Path

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A bit like when the elders make a shepherding call 'to help' a person before DFing them!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• researcher
    researcher

Just curious, but how is it that the address url of your picture is off the main Watchtower official site;

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit