Paradise is going to suck!

by WasOnceBlind 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've said this before, but imagine the WTS being given control over a small country (an admittedly unlikely prospect, but for the sake of argument...).

I guarantee that within a decade, democracy and religious freedom would be nonexistent, creationism would be mandated in schools, any alternative forms of sexual expression would be outlawed, disfellowshipped individuals would be stripped of citizenship and imprisoned or deported, and convicted apostates would be sentenced to death without possibility of appeal or reprieve.

Now take that a step further, and imagine that kind of regime on a planetary scale.

Lasting forever.

• InjusticeSystem
    InjusticeSystem

Yes, a tiger is going to eat grass.

Hmm, let's think on this.....If a tiger no longer needed to hunt and chase prey, it would no longer need it's razor sharp claws, muscular and agile body, or amazing senses. Over the generations, such qualities would no longer be useful or necessary, and would therefore not be worth the energetic expenditure to grow and develop. Every physical attribute an animal posses costs the animal in energy to maintain.

Assuming that principle remains true in paradise, what qualities would be useful in that scenario? Well, the teeth would need to become flatter to adjust to the vegan diet. The body would no longer need the immense muscle and physical agility, but rather a good slow grazing body plan that maximizes the available digestive capabilities. All those honed senses? Too expensive. A much simpler set of basic senses (enough to see the grass in front of your face) would suffice.

Essentially, if the natural world still functioned in a somewhat similar manner, paradise would turn all majestic tigers into big stupid cow-like creatures in relatively few generations. Evolution's a bitch.

• TD
    TD

Essentially, if the natural world still functioned in a somewhat similar manner, paradise would turn all majestic tigers into big stupid cow-like creatures in relatively few generations. Evolution's a bitch.

Humorous thought, but I guess you realize that ungulates are just as much the end result of a long evolutionary process as cats are, so this couldn't happen in a few generations. Actually, cats would die out in just one generation. No member of the cat family is able to synthesize taurine which is an essential amino acid not found in plant material.

A diet of low quality vegetation is not simply a matter of having flatter teeth either. Bovids and Equids have hypsodont, or "high crowned" teeth, which are very different than the brachydont or "low crowned" teeth that predators have. With hypsodont teeth, the enamel ends in a bunch of razor sharp surfaces similar to a kitchen grater:

Additionally, since these teeth are subject to rapid wear from silica particles they grow continuously throughout the life of the animal. And that's only the beginning of the digestive process. Multi chambered stomachs and enlarged hind guts where the bacteria necessary to break down cellulose can flourish are just as important.

• Jay Elle
    Jay Elle
    Seems as though people are basing the after life ideas on what they have been told. Who really knows what is next and the lay out. Why not just assume it will be amazing and we will know more when we get there. ....and if it isn't real .....who cares, we will be dead.
  • sir82
    sir82

There is a discussion of a related topic on a pro-JW forum here.

I wonder if one of our resident "double-agents" started that discussion?

• millie210
    millie210

I wouldnt mind paradise....I dont have enough time to do everything I want in one lifetime as it is, so that part is fine.

I agree with Jay Elle and others that I would be willing to take it as it comes with one HUGE proviso....

I dont necessarily want to be with JWs!

You know the kind I mean.....the kind that judge each other and are self righteous and use the name Jehovah 3 times in each sentence....that kind.

If that is the case, then paradise will seem a lot like a pre assembly work day on the gorgeous landscaped grounds of an Assembly Hall.

In other words, HELL.

• InjusticeSystem
    InjusticeSystem

TD - You're my hero. Yes, it was only humor, I realize that this is not even a remote possibility. Thank you for explaining it in the correct way. That was awesome.

SCIENCE!

P.S. This has been a subject of some debate in my house lately, namely the suddenly vegan diet of carnivorous paradise animals. You seem to have an excellent grasp on the problems inherent in this conversion. Do you happen to know of other similar roadblocks (I know there are plenty but just a few examples would be very helpful for my JW family should the subject arise again) in other species that make this scenario impossible given their current needs? Any suggestions are appreciated.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

How will you stay in contact with brothers around the globe, if you break

a leg while working in the fields or maybe no one will break anything in paradise.

How about toilet paper (Adam and Eve leaves), no thank you.

No electricity for music, singing kingdom songs will get old.

Taking a road trip, it will be a road trip alright 40 years from NY to California.

After the mansion (Jw have claimed) have fall into despair due

to like of material to repair, then what? Not all can build a log cabin, but

I guess if you live forever you have time to get it right.

And who will not miss the varieties of eating establishment and where

will I buy my tools.

I bet you if it was possible to communicate with someone that lived 200 years ago

and ask him or her, which time period would you prefer to live. Hell those good old days

was not that great.

• millie210
    millie210
    sir82
    There is a discussion of a related topic on a pro-JW forum here.
    I wonder if one of our resident "double-agents" started that discussion?

wasnt me but fun to contemplate!

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Yes, a tiger is going to eat grass.

Hmm, let's think on this.....If a tiger no longer needed to hunt and chase prey, it would no longer need it's razor sharp claws, muscular and agile body, or amazing senses. Over the generations, such qualities would no longer be useful or necessary, and would therefore not be worth the energetic expenditure to grow and develop. Every physical attribute an animal posses costs the animal in energy to maintain.

Assuming that principle remains true in paradise, what qualities would be useful in that scenario? Well, the teeth would need to become flatter to adjust to the vegan diet. The body would no longer need the immense muscle and physical agility, but rather a good slow grazing body plan that maximizes the available digestive capabilities. All those honed senses? Too expensive. A much simpler set of basic senses (enough to see the grass in front of your face) would suffice.

I also have an issue with this. These animals were designed specifically to hunt prey and keep the natural food chain going. I highly doubt meat eating creatures would become gazing animals. Whatever, we'll have to wait and see hopefully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit