Another computer topic

by rhett 31 Replies latest jw friends

• rhett
    rhett

Since everyone else is posting computer threads today I thought I would also.
    Does anyone else here have more RAM than processing power? My PC has a 500Mhz processor and 512Mb worth of RAM. Just curious and I've never really thought about it until today and was wondering if anyone else is excessive as I am.
    Oh yes, I also run Win2k Pro and host a website from it for what its worth.

• spender
    spender

I can probably say with a certain level of confidence that I have everyone here beaten when it comes to computing power. I have a dual AMD XP 1600+ with 512mb (soon to be 1GB) pc2100 ECC DDR SDRAM, geforce 2 ultra video card, 80gb + 60gb 7200rpm harddrives, two 100mbit network cards, sound blaster live card,16x DVD 16x10x40x CDRW, and a tyan tiger s2460 motherboard.

• Xander
    Xander

Processing power, MAYBE spen....but I got you beat for gaming (and maybe even processing, I overclock my FSB causing my CPU pipe to RAM to jump to 302 MHz)

AthlonXP '1600+'@'1900+'
    512 MB PC2400 @ 302 MHz
    GeForce3 Ti500 (270 core/595 ram)
    40GB + 20GB 7200 RPM ATA/100 HD
    1 100mbit NIC
    Hercules GameTheater XP (tried the live, thought it sucked, sorry)
    Shuttle AK31 v3.1 motherboard (VIA kt266a baby, YEAH)

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I have a dual AMD XP 1600+ with 512mb (soon to be 1GB) pc2100 ECC DDR SDRAM, geforce 2 ultra video card, 80gb + 60gb 7200rpm harddrives, two 100mbit network cards, sound blaster live card, and a tyan tiger s2460 motherboard.

But can you type?

• b_ster
    b_ster

Spender:
    what OS are you using? Cause unless the OS you are using is Win NT, 2K or BeOS the second processor is not really being used.

• spender
    spender

Linux 2.4. And yes, I know what I'm doing :) I write code for the operating system itself.

xander: there's no way you have me beat! I have the equiv of 3ghz of processing power! :p

I can type around 75wpm on a standard keyboard...around 80-85 on a laptop keyboard...the less I have to push down on the keys the faster I can type.

• julien
    julien

I have the biggest hard drive 160,120,60,60 cdrw dvdrw
    oh I only have 512mb and 1ghz athon .. but I also have 802.11b going to four systems in my house.

my system at work is decent, 2 x 866 p4, 1gb mem, 18gb,36gb both 10,000rpm scsi, 22" mon

• Xander
    Xander

Yeah, but I can count on one hand the number of apps I've got that can use multiprocessors.

Using SiSoft for benchmarking (Windows only util - http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/index.htm), I get:
    CPU Arithmetic Benchmark
    4412 MIPS (Dhrystone)
    2201 MFLOPS (Whetstone)
    Memory Bandwidth Benchmark
    2.3 GB/s (int)
    2.2 GB/s (float)

And, my 3dMark2k1 score (for benchmarking the 3d subsystem):

If you are only running Linux, I don't know of any comparable tests to direct you at, though...

(?Linux? - *blech* - no decent apps for it!)

(I'm actually impressed, though. Really - I have heard all kinds of horror stories getting the AXPs to work multiprocessor)

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

hmmmmm!

another way to play -- "who's got the biggest" huh ???????

well, humble and modest 'me', cannot claim biggest anything!!!!

• b_ster
    b_ster

Spender:

Are you a kernal guy?!

I do C under QNX.. but it is for applications software...

Cheers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit