Complete Donation – What Happened?

by Marvin Shilmer 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Complete Donation – What Happened?

Today I added a new article to my blog showing part of a never before publicized letter where the Watchtower organization makes admission of how Jehovah’s Witnesses actually responded to the 1990 change to its “complete donation arrangement”.

My article is titled Complete Donation – What Happened? and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2013/07/complete-donation-what-happened.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• cedars
    cedars

Fascinating stuff Marvin, thanks!

Cedars

• sir82
    sir82

Was the WTS really surprised when the requests for "deluxe items" skyrocketed once they were free?

The same organization that has to publish KM articles every year reminding JWs not to hoard the "free breakfast" items at the hotels they stay at while attending DCs?

The same organization that had to scrap food service at DCs & CAs because all the teenage kids would walk up and order 4 hoagies & 8 burritios? "It's for my family man <snicker>"?

The same organization who has to remind its adherents every year in KM articles that leaving a tract is not a "tip" for a waitress?

Nobody goes for "free stuff" like JWs.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Very interesting...but they're not passing collection plates at all, right? But then, when your brain is on the collection plate, why would they need to?

--sd-7

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Interesting post, Marvin.

JW's are a sociologically interesting group that I would love to study, if I had gone that route after university.

Eden

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Appearently, Jehovahs spirit is rather sluggish and his people somewhat "untrustworthy". Why would the WTBT$ be surprised that it's followers are as greedy at they are.?

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

This is the same Organization who once said that when the funds dry up that means Jehovah thinks the work is done. What if no one ever gives any money to the WorldWide Work of Jehovah's Witnesses? What if the congregation doesn't submit any funds? Is that why they are eager to get resolutions passed so that each congregation submits so much money each month for various activities?

• whathappened
    whathappened

When I was active during that time period we could not affored to donate much, after all my husband was a janitor and I was a cleaning lady, not kidding...wish I was.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

ahhaahaah. that is excellent. that made my day.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I remember shortly after the change to donation a family- while nice enough people, were the poorest of the poor - came to the hall with each of the many family members toting an Insight book. I can guarentee you they did not donate the requisite amount.

I was the account servant during the tansition, once when a new CDs came in (I forget what the CD was, but at least 20 were ordered and given to the "friends"). That night there was less than a dollar in the contribution box.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit