Are Jehovahs Witnesses raised to be Anti-American?

by Joliette 17 Replies latest jw friends

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Maybe they should be anti-Brit. We've got MUCH more to feel guilty about.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, "Anti World" is probably a better description of them !

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Anti-Americanism taught by watchtower goes right to the very heart of Americanism, which is the Constitution of the United States of America.

This brand of anti-Americanism is nowhere better evidenced than in the September 22, 1990 Awake journal (p. 14; published by Watchtower) where it singles out the US Constitution as representing the trend of human rule that began in Eden, which form of rulership Watchtower has constantly branded by as Satanic.

To characterize the US Constitution as a continuation of the trend started in Eden is arguably as anti-American as you can get.

Then it gets worse! Much worse!!!

The very document Watchtower leadership condemns as “an obvious continuation of the trend started in Eden” is the very document each and every one of them pledged allegiance to, including to defend it against all enemies!—(See Citizens, Allegiance and Watchtower Abuse available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2013/06/citizens-allegiance-and-watchtower-abuse.html

Watchtower’s brand of anti-Americanism is one of the more blatant acts of its hypocrisy!

Marvin Shilmer

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

I don't think the JW's are anti-American but they are definitely just plain anti-government. It can be harmful to be so afraid of everything when you know that governments do offer some nice things, i.e. police, fire fighters, unemployement, medicaid etc.

• Think About It
    Think About It

The JW Governing Body and Watchtower religion is definately anti-American. There are probaby many individual JW's that are actually proud of being Americans and what America stands for. However, you know they have to keep it to themselves for fear of resprisals.

• sd-7
    sd-7

When I told my parents I vote on a regular basis, they laughed at me, (seriously). Jehovahs Witnesses are the last people that need to be laughing at anymore. In a nutshell, do you guys think that being so anti american is harmful.

I think the perspective on that can be very subjective. When I was in, I didn't think of it as being anti-American so much as being anti-politics-and-war. I still had my political viewpoints, though I of course couldn't and wouldn't vote. I'm sure a lot of JWs, while they subscribe to the party line of looking forward to the Kingdom to solve everything, do at least lean one way or another despite being neutral in terms of their actions. On the other hand, those who subscribe 100% to the JW worldview, would indeed be rather rigid in their viewpoint and anti-whatever-government-there-is. I've learned how difficult it is to have this sort of conversation with such a JW, in my years of being married...I say that in the nicest way possible, of course...

But even so, I didn't particularly look forward to a world ruled by the Governing Body, either...it seemed like kind of a dictatorship that appeared to be benevolent but was clearly too mysterious for me to be entirely comfortable with. Not to mention a number of logistical issues that would come up there...

--sd-7

• Mum
    Mum

When I first left the borg, I moved to another state with a cousin and got a job right away. One time at work, for some reason I can't recall, we were discussing religion, and JW's came up. A co-worker said, "That's a religion that's against everything!" That pretty well sums it up.

JW's want to live in a system that is totally opposite of their own. They want to have freedom of thought (in a limited way, of course), freedom of expression, freedom of religion, but their members are not allowed to enjoy any of these freedoms.

What a bunch of loonies!

• Joliette
    Joliette

My bad you guys....I shoulda said, anti-gov't, anti-world, etc.

@ Simon, you made some good points that I left out.

Thank you guys for your replies!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit