Americans in Prison

by usualusername 29 Replies latest jw friends

• BobFlanagan007
    BobFlanagan007

Have watched the video and you appear to have mislead us. Your comment should have read something like:

Father kills man who abducted and is believed to have abused his son.

Pleads no contest to manslaughter and is found guilty.

Sentenced to 5 years probabtion.

You were making out he "got away with it", he demonstrably didn't.

• Simon
    Simon

I posted this somewhere else but it's even more applicable to this topic.

This shows the incredulity that the UK views America when it comes to incarceration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZed8af9RI

In the UK we had a political phrase "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime". In the US it seems that they are only doing the former - spend money on being tough but do nothing or less than nothing to address the causes of crime, social issues etc.

And of course, they make money from prisoners ... someone is getting rich. It's the slave-trade re-invented ...

The approach doesn't appear to work for the purpose it's portrayed - the US appears to have a very violent society. But it is very effective at providing cheap labor for someone to make money off so I guess to them it's working just fine thank you very much.

• trebor
    trebor

The dad killed (or murdered) a man accused of a crime who unquestionably abducted his son, and believed to have sexually abused him.
    Would you want him as a neighbour?

usualusername, I fixed that for you.

My answer to that question is yes.

If it were my son, he would have been lucky to have even lived long enough to be flown from California.

• usualusername
    usualusername

Trebor would you murder someone?

• usualusername
    usualusername

Startling video Simon

Scary stuff..

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

This is a subject that absolutely sickens me. So many beautiful young lives wasting away in a cell. So many heartless prosecutors!

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

heartless prosecutors!

??? The fact that the majority commit heinous crimes does not register with you does it? Even the "non-violent" drug crimes leave a trail of lives in shambles. Witness the devastation left behind in Mexico by the drug producers and transporters. 63,000 murdered so that the "non-violent" criminals in the US have blow and weed.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

do nothing or less than nothing to address the causes of crime, social issues etc.

Match the % of GDP and total spending per capita directed to addressing social issues by the US against that of any other nation in the world before making such a specious statement.

Chatitable donations made by US residents is also higher as a % of GDP than any other nation.

It's not for lack of trying that we have violent criminals. I for one am VERY happy that they are locked up safe and sound. It would be utter bedlam, like Chavs in the UK or soccer mobs, or terrorists randomly bombing London like the IRA used to before GB caved into their demands if they were released.

• usualusername
    usualusername

Strong sentences for strong crimes. Totally agree.

But having looked at some prison documentaries recently the American Prison system is excessive, archaic and does little to help these people rehabilitate.

Just an opinion.

• Simon
    Simon
    Charitable donations made by US residents is also higher as a % of GDP than any other nation

I'm sure they are very generous but I'm talking about proper social safety systems and investments in education, not a few bowls of soup. The US spends dramatically more on locking people up than it does on educating them. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine those are linked.

Re: the crimes - yes, serious crimes should result in serious punishment. But people being imprisoned for stealing food and stuff? Isn't that like something out of Les Miserables? What century are we in?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit