Relief Work and $$$

by allyouneedislove 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• allyouneedislove
    allyouneedislove

Was just talking to a JW who just got back from Oklahoma doing relief work for JWs who had their homes damaged. I didn't know this, but he said that the process goes like this. The homeowner usually has a payout from the insurance company in hand. The materials are purchased with that money. However, guess what...the rest of the money goes to the WT! The labor is free! Woohoo! LOL!

• sir82
    sir82

Yep, that's pretty much the way it works, and has worked for the past 20-30 years at least.

Problem is, if that "free labor" installed roof springs a leak, who's going to fix it? Brother Toadie from Outer Podunk South Dakota, who was visiting to do "relief work"? Yeah, good luck with that.

• James Brown
    James Brown

What a religious money grabbing scam.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

As was true in the Gulf Coast states after Hurricane Katrina, a lot of the materials are also donated.

But, the homeowner is quoted a full retail rate for the work performed and told it would only be fair to donate their entire insurance check to WT.

• alfredjones100
    alfredjones100

is this really the way it is?

i've honestly thought for all these years i've been in the truth that if a storm took the roof off a brother's home or it was flooded out or something similar in some disaster, it was repaired for free.

if you have to pay ... well whats the difference between the RBC and any other worldly building company?

i would be keen to hear any ones else's experiences with the disaster repair commitees.

• Shador
    Shador

Funny how this is never mentioned in all those videos and articles about the "relief work" - yea, relieving you of $$$

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

OMG! I never knew this!!!!!

It really is all about the benjamins huh? It's funny because I recall being taught something along the lines of "brotherly love" as the excuse for running to help those affected by disasters.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I spent 3 months in St Thomas after Hurricane Marylan (?) and did some relief work in Gulf Coast. Yes, that's kind of how it works. There are also some variations. Sometimes FEMA is involved... so there isn't a lot of exchange of money, just the free labor. And in the case of St. Thomas and Aruba where nobody had insurance or a house sturdy enough to sustain a hurricane, the brothers took up a collection to purchase supplies - the 'word goes out' and donations are collected from everywhere (the entire Houston area for example), and that is how materials are funded. Also, we had to pay for our own plane tickets. HOWEVER, the shitty bunks under tarps and plywood restroom facilities were kick started initially with money from the WTS, and then funded entirely by the local brothers... the ones that just went through a god damn hurricane.

• GonzoX
    GonzoX

What ever happened to, "If you receive free, then give free." I believe these were Jesus words.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    What ever happened to, "If you receive free, then give free." I believe these were Jesus words.

Sounds good on paper, but you can't run a multi-billion dollar publishing company/religion if you give stuff away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit