Son is giving first talk, conflicted

by marriedtoajw 59 Replies latest jw friends

• marriedtoajw
    marriedtoajw

My son is still studying with the JW's and is giving his first talk this Tuesday. He's 22 and still living in my home. My other two boys 12 and 15 are here as well but don't study cuz wifee knows how I feel. My wife's JW family came from another state to support him in his talk. I was the last one to know about it and was told my inlaws were coming just to visit. Now I know why they're visiting . Conflicted if I should go. I'm not ok with any of this...

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

As a father that I am after all I've been through. I would'nt go. But thats just me.

At 22 is he giving a bible reading used to be talk No.2 or a full fledged talk. I don't know how knowledgable you are about the witnesses but this is expected from young brothers not something in my humble opinion to be celebrated.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Public talk is a huge thing, but for bible reading, thats nothing, he reads the introduction, read many verses then he will give the conclusion of his talk, just about 5 minutes.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi marriedtoajw, I'm sorry that you feel conflicted about showing your son that you love him and not wanting to show support for the WTBTS.

I would recommend that you talk with a cult-exit counselor about what is the best approach for you to do.

If you do not contact a cult-exit counselor, then I would recommend that you show interest in what your son critically thinks about, believes, and does that is not influenced by the WTBTS BITE control. Ask your son whether he independently researched material for his talk, what references he used, and what did he learn, or is he going to just read from the WTBTS's literature (i.e., propaganda)? If you son did independent research for his talk then show more interest, ask more questions, and may be only attend the meeting for your son's talk. Do not debate what your son believes, just ask simply questions about how he did his research and what references he used. If your son is reading from WTBTS literature, then decline to attend the meeting because you love your son and it is a WTBTS talk not your son's talk.

Best of wishes in you walking a tightrope to maintain a relationship with your son.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

lAMALLCOOL would you go! we are trying to help someone here.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

well said Robert

Peace be with you and yours

• marriedtoajw
    marriedtoajw

The crux of my problem is this. My inlaws have indoctrinated my son behind my back. They and the JW's have loved bombed my son and treat him like a prince. He does not respect me because I failed to teach him myself even though I have always had to work 60 hours a week for at least 15 years to provide which tended to give me very little time, while my wife, who almost has never worked, had plenty of time to do things or teach things behind my back as well. I've been ganged up on and manipulated. My son is naive and doesn't know what has really happened. He just thinks I didn't care and I'm sure they must have told him how as the spiritual head, it was my responsibility to teach him and didn't which makes me look like I never took spirituality seriously, thus lead by satan. Again, as I've said on other posts, I was trying to keep peace which has obviously backfired.

Now, my other boys are caught in the middle of this too. My inlaws and wifee just do what they're told. They don't investigate anything on their own. My son is following this pattern. He will not research on his own either. I know that if I wanted to I could hold my own if not give them plenty of problems if we actually sat down and talked about my problems with the Watchtower, but we haven't and I can't see that ever happening.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Jehovah's Witnesses are good at goin' behind folks back to cause divison

I feel for you.

You work hard to provide for the family the WTS turn against you

ain't that ashame

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Talking about the organization will not serve you or your sons. Remember they are brain washed. Showing love and reminding your boys and your wife of that will win in the end.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

truth, no I would not go for a bible reading, maybe for a public talk to see how good he delivers the talk, it has nothing to do with what doctrines will be explained, etc... It would depend on who will be giving the talk and the theme of the talk. I do not think he should go, it would be a waste of time. It is up to him. I like ABibleStudent's suggestion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit