Is their understanding of unity a form of mind control?

by I_love_Jeff 13 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Indeed, yes it is. The WT Society just uses loaded and tricky language to get their mind control methods across and installed into JW's minds. . If you read any of Steve Hassan's books he shows that this loaded language is put there for this purpose.

For instance the quote in your opening thread by the WT Society, " Jehovah helps us to OVERCOME CERTAIN ATTITUDES that because of OUR IMPERFECTION could otherwise THREATEN our unity. " Translation : " Jehovah " ( actually WT Society ) does not allow independent thinking because you as Jehovah's Witnesses are so SINFUL being imperfect from birth that YOU could really screw up and threaten the WT leaders mind control program so that we won't be able to CONTROL you into OUR version of " unity ".

So perhaps you see my point. WT Society leaders use VEILED language with many insinuations leading rank & file JW's to think that if ANYTHING goes wrong in their life- it's the individual Witnesses fault due to their wrong " attitudes", " imperfection " which could " threaten " the alleged " unity " of the WT organization. It's a lot of negative guilt tripping just in that ONE sentence that WT leaders CONSTANTLY use in most all of their WT magazine articles and assembly parts as well ! It's DEFINITELY a cult pushing mind control ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

This thread nails the conversations between the current conversations of a JW friend of mine and myself so thank you. :)

On more than one occasion, he has mentioned "unity" as a significant barometer of being a Christian which has puzzled me. I'm beginning to realize that he has been seeing the churches as being a collection of un-unified entities. I've explained that different denominations such as the Catholics, the Episcopalians, the Methodists and the JWs are unified withiin their own doctrine and that many are united in the same readings explored from week to week. Collectively though, the churches are unified in their belief in Christ and respect each other in that regard.

Being united leaves the possibility of FAILing united.

According to the Old Testament, how'd that work out for the Israelites?

• FrankieGoesToHollywood
    FrankieGoesToHollywood

Yes, almost every church are united in the Christ despite doktrinial "issues". Far from the lies of the Governing Body, a "body" that never excisted in the first century!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You might find this excerpt interesting (reposted from a thread by Atlantis 6 years ago):

UNITY - FORCED OR SPONTANEOUS?

The Watchtower Society consistently boasts about it's organisational unity. However, research shows that rather than being spontaneous, it is an enforced unity. The testimony of Watchtower leaders in the Douglas Walsh Vs the Right Honourable James Latham Clyde, MP., PC., Trial in Scotland (1954) confirmed this.

The issue was the Conscription of Jehovah's Witnesses into the Armed Forces. The questions put to representatives of the Watchtower Society were to establish the beliefs and practices of Jehovah's Witnesses for the Court.

Most Jehovah's Witnesses are unaware of this trial. Those who are aware claim it was biased. However, even if the reason for the trial was biased it does not alter the specific answers to the questions put to the Directors of the Watchtower Society. Surely THEIR answers were not biased.

UNITY AT ALL COSTS

During the Scottish trial the directors of the Watchtower Society admitted....

THE SCOTTISH TRIAL - 1954

The following testimony excerpts are from the Pursuer's Proof of Douglas Walsh vs The Right Honourable James Latham Clyde,MP, PC, as representing the Minister of Labour and National Service. Copies of the complete transcript or parts thereof may be obtained from the Scottish Records Office, H.M. General Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland. The numbers following the quotations show the transcript page on which the testimony is found.

HAYDEN C COVINGTON - Former Lawyer for the Watchtower Society

Q. Is it not vital to speak the truth on religious matters?

A. It certainly is.

Q. You have promulgated - forgive the word - false prophecy?

A. We have. I do not think we have promulgated false prophecy, there have been statements that were erroneous, that is the way I put it, and mistaken.

Q. It was promulgated as a matter which must be believed by all members of Jehovah's witnesses that the Lord's Second Coming took place in 1874?

(A short discussion of evidence given by Fred W Franz about 1874 takes place here.)

Q. That was the publication of false prophecy?

A. That was the publication of a false prophecy, it was a false statement or an erroneous statement in fulfillment of a prophecy that was false or erroneous.Q. And that had to be believed by the whole of Jehovah's Witnesses?

A. Yes, because you must understand, we must have unity, we cannot have disunity with a lot of people going every way, an army is supposed to march in step.
    Q. Back to the point now, a false prophecy was promulgated? A. I agree to that.Q. It had to be accepted by Jehovah's witnesses?

A. That is correct.Q. If a member of Jehovah's witnesses took the view himself that that prophecy was wrong, and said so, would he be disfellowshipped?

A. Yes, if he said so, and kept on persisting in creating trouble, because if the whole organisation believes one thing, even though it be erroneous, and somebody else starts on his own trying to put his ideas across, then there is a disunity and trouble, there cannot be harmony, there cannot be marching ...... Our purpose is to haveunity. Q. Unity at all costs?

A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation,the governing body of our organisation, to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time. Q. A unity based on an enforced acceptance of false prophecy? A. That is conceded to be true.

Q. And the person who expresses his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the covenant, if he was baptised?

A. That is correct.Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?

A. I think....

Q. Would you say yes or no?

A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly.Q. Do you call that religion?

A. It certainly is.Q. Do you call that Christianity?

A. I certainly do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit