Anyone who's seen 'Man of Steel', can we talk about SPOILER-related stuff?

by sd-7 39 Replies latest social entertainment

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"All he had to do?"???? I got the impression that it wasn't that easy...

...Zod used his military training and discipline to gain a measure of control over his Kryptonian superpowers, after all; that would have included super-strength.

Besides, even if Superman had killed Zod before Metropolis was attacked, Faora would have killed him, assumed command, and carried out Zod's intentions.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Of course, the more I think about Superman killing Zod, the more I accept it as part of doing what needed to be done. I'm hopeful that maybe even in this series (and I assume there'll be sequels) that Superman will be haunted by that decision. I mean, really, Zod had it coming by that point. Obviously even this iteration of Superman doesn't kill indiscriminately. If he did, he would've led with that and arguably saved a lot more people... My understanding is that Superman usually pulls his punches, otherwise...

Wow, sounds like I've got some graphic novels to catch up on. I read mostly Batman stuff, so I'd like to read some classic Superman stories sometime, too. If I ever have money for it, that is...

But even with my significant disagreements with certain plot points, at least from the novel, I felt a sense of a really satisfying story that comes at you from interesting angles. Of course, reading the novel is different--usually movies suffer from 'the novel effect' as I like to call it, when I read the novelization before I see the movie. I always expect the cast to deliver lines a certain way, and they rarely ever do. Or the dialogue is different in a way that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I mean, I don't really want to give up 'S'--I mean 'hope'. I'll give it a chance. I think the second film should be much better. Hopefully.

Also, I'm pleased to see this thread still going. Thanks for your thoughts!

--sd-7

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm positive that this iteration of Kal-El feels very conflicted; does he find some way to use the codex imbedded in his DNA to recreate his species and risk another invasion of genetically engineered alien super-soldiers, or do nothing and condemn his birth race to extinction?

• rocketman
    rocketman

A guy I work with raises a similar question about the ending of Star Trek (2009):

At the end, Kirk offers assistance to Nero as his ship is being pulled into the black hole. Spock initiates a quick sidebar and disagrees with this decision to extend help (understandable, since Nero destroyed Vulcan). The discussion is rendered moot when Nero says he would rather die, blah, blah, blah.

The guy claims that this is ending goes against the Trek tradition of not killing and trying to save lives, even when it's the bad guy. He may have a point - it does seem rather un-Trek like to kill off an enemy.

For example, even during multiple encounters with Khan, Khan was never killed off (in Wrath of Khan, it was Khan who destroyed his own ship as a result of deploying the Genesis device), despite being probably the most notorious villain in the Trek universe.

Personally, I wasn't all that troubled by this scene, though I would tend to agree that it was a bit un-Trekish.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Satanus - really, you haven't been in years ?

OOOOOh, you want to get along in there, renew all them senses dude, be a child again, lol.

I stopped going to the cinema also, for many years, too noisy, too uncomfortable, too expensive, crap films. I would just wait until something came out on dvd.

Started getting back into it with the kids, now they are getting older.

I was buzzing for days after the film, now, if i get a bit stressed or pee-ed off, my daughter says, shhh mum, just 'think' about Sman, lol.

the rare moments of joy and happiness have to be preserved, been without them for long enough.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I was just thinking of this again, because I read an article that said Christopher Nolan was against the ending, but David S. Goyer and Zack Snyder wanted it. Snyder explained it by saying that basically, since this is an origin story, Superman doesn't have a code about killing, and how could he get that idea unless he faced a situation where he had to kill someone? Something like that. I kind of see what he's saying.

But it's still questionable reasoning because they could easily have written that into one of the scenes with Jonathan Kent telling him to be careful how he uses his strength because he could kill someone without even trying hard. (Like the scene with the bullies trying to get him to fight, for instance.)

Despite that, I do think if that's how Snyder views it, it is something that he did at least think about seriously and talk about with the rest of the team beforehand. I think, while I still hate him for it, I do expect to see this become an issue worth mentioning in the next film. If it's not mentioned, he's an even bigger idiot than I thought. Thank you for effing up Superman. Go make 'Sucker Punch 2'. No, really, I want to see it.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

But no, while it bothers me, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's not like he went all Michael Bay on us and cast like, Kate Upton as Lois Lane. So...I'll forgive him eventually.

--sd-7

• smiddy
    smiddy

I saw"The Man Of Steel" last night and this is my take : The fight scene with Zod and his henchman was far too long , the violence / explosions they endured during these fight scenes negated their demise , I agree with previous posters who say they should have somehow been sent back to the phantom zone.,....Lois Lane knows who his real identity is ? a problem for me .And it didn`t wash with me that he let his step father die without trying to save him .

And what nobody else has picked up on as far as I can see, Superman/Clark Kents biological mother was not human , she was an alien , from a civilization far advanced in technology and development than humans , and yet she is depicted in giving birth as if she is a daughter of Eve ,think about it .Gen.:3:16

Christopher Reeve and Magot Kidder nailed Superman and Lois Lane to a tee , in the original movie ,they are the benchmark for future Actors , as is Sean Connery as James Bond.007.

smiddy

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

As a follower of the comics for a long time, this is consistant with the story.

After the crisis of infinite earths, Zod shows up with his henchemen from another dimension. In this dimension, Zod killed superboy and went on to conquer his home there.

They get loose on earth and superman uses green kryptonite to weaken them. As they are weakened, Zod starts ranting how he will get strength back soon and then try to wipe out humanity on earth.

Realizing that Zod could not be controlled and couldn't be easily stopped, Superman turns the Krypontite on all three killing them.

This sends him into a deep depression and he leaves Earth, no longer feeling worthy of being it's protector. It is during this time that come to terms that while the action was necessary, he would never kill again, setting the framework for the Superman for decades after that.

In all, not bad, I think they accurately portray how the military and government would react to discovering someone as powerful as Superman. I thought the attempt at trying to track his movements to learn his weaknesses was accurate. Also the whole "Look I have glasses, nobody can recognize me as superman" was a weak element to the story, a hangover from the silver age. Having those that know Superman recognize Clark Kent makes more sense.

• minimus
    minimus

Zod is Satan and Superman is Jesus Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit