Historical Development of the Jesus/Michael Doctrine

by moggy lover 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

I have a question about the historical development of the doctrine currently held by the Watchtower, specifically about Jesus being Michael. I am not interested in a polemic about whether Jesus is or is not Michael, but rather in how this teaching evolved in the historical development of the Watchtower movement.

For instance we know that at least as far back as November 1879, page 4, [reprints page 48] the Watchtower was teaching a doctrine contrary to what it currently teaches:

"Jesus' position is contrasted with that of men and angels, since he is Lord of both. Hence it is said , "Let ALL angels of God worship him; [that must include Michael the archangel, hence Michael is NOT the Son of God] and the reason is that he has by inheritance obtained a more excellent NAME than they"

So Russell appears to be an Arian in the classic sense of the word, but somewhere between then and now something changed and the Christology of the Watchtower plunged even lower, equating Him with an angel, an archangel, no less . The question is:

When did this first happen?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Plunged even lower?

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Yes I believe so.

Remember that the square brackets in that 1879 quote are Russell's words not mine. Like Arius, CTR was a "homoiousion" believer where he posited the notion that, in having a nature which was "like" God, it was also UNlike that of angels. So Jesus was in some way HIGHER than angels but lower than God.

At some time in the historical and doctrinal development of the Watchtower however, which is the point of this post, Jesus was adjudged to be "UNlike" God and "like" the angels [a teaching historically referred to as "anomoism"]. Thus, from being "higher" than angels, the estimation of Jesus slided down to being on their level. I suspect that Rutherford had something to do with this.

From being like God, to being the same as angels is quite a plunge is it not?

But when did this radical change occur?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Some Trinitarians have argued that Jesus was Michael. Calvin did not have a low Christology for example.

And however low JW Christology has "plunged" it is probably no lower than the early Christians themselves who likely no more saw Jesus as God than Jesus himself apparently did.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

JW Facts gives a bit of the historical development

Try:

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/worship-jesus.php

The first clear statement that Jesus must not be worshipped was in 1954. From that time forward there was a new belief in the position of Jesus. "Should we worship Jesus?

Consequently, since the Scriptures teach that Jesus Christ is not a trinitarian co-person with God the Father, but is a distinct person, the Son of God, the answer to the above question must be that no distinct worship is to be rendered to Jesus Christ now glorified in heaven.
    Our worship is to go to Jehovah God. However, we show the proper regard for God's only-begotten Son by rendering our worship to God through and in the name of Jesus Christ. Even now when we kneel in prayer, as Paul did according to Ephesians 3:14-19, we offer prayer in the name of Jesus Christ in obedience to his own directions (John 15:16; 16:23-26), but the prayer itself is addressed, not to Jesus, but to God his Father. In this way we keep things in their relative positions." Watchtower 1954 Jan 1 p.31

• Room 215
    Room 215

In fairness, and with no particular opinion on the merits of the JW claim, their position on the Michael/Jesus issue is not an unreasonable one, given the paucity of detail in the scriptures.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

It's a popular Adventist doctrine and was taught by Ellen G. White, the prophetess of the Seventh Day Adventist sect. The SDA no longer officially believes that doctrine and it's difficult getting them to even admit they ever believed it. Mrs. White, however, supposedly learned that Jesus was the premortal Michael from her revelatory experiences. In their Clear Word Bible (1994), Mrs. White's teaching made its way into the commentary of Jude 1:9.

First is the scripture from the King James Version:

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. (KJV)

The Clear Word Bible is a version designed to add prophetic interpretation in commentary form:

In contrast to these ungodly men is the Lord Jesus Christ, also called Michael, the archangel in charge of the entire angelic host. When He was challenged by Satan about His intentions to resurrect Moses, He didn't come against Satan with a blistering attack nor did he belittle him. He simply said, 'God rejects your claim to his body. (Clear Word Bible)

Actually, no one knows what the contest with Satan regarding the body of Moses was about, but this is but one account where the Jesus-Michael doctrine was taught. Jack Blanko, onetime dean of Religion at the Southern Adventist University, undoubtedly knew of Mrs. White's teaching and incorporated it into his commentary:

"Michael, or Christ, with the angels that buried Moses...." (Jude 9, Spiritual Gifts, IV a, p. 158)

"And before the context closed Christ Himself came to Gabriel's aid — Gabriel declares 'But lo, Michael, one of the Chief Princes came to help me." (Daniel 10:13, Prophets & Kings, p.572)

"There is none that holdeth with me in these things but Michael (Christ) your prince." (Desire of Ages, p.99)

"Moses passed under the dominion of death — but Christ the Savior brought him forth from the grave." (Jude 9, ibid 379)

That said, they presently deny the doctrine and with good reason. And it would be inaccurate to say that the SDA believe that doctrine today as I've seen in a number of anti-SDA materials. How they can reconcile the teaching with Mrs. White's teachings, however, is another matter. In 1957 the SDA taught: "We believe that the term 'Michael' is but one of the many titles applied to the Son of God, the second person of the Godhead. But such a view does not in any way conflict with our belief in His full deity and eternal pre-existence, nor does it in the least disparage His person and work." (Seventh-day Adventists Answer Questions on Doctrine, Review and Herald Publishing Association, Washington D.C., 1957. Chapter 8 "Christ, and Michael the Archangel".)

Today they officially deny the teaching, but a number of stalwarts in the church probably hang onto the doctrine. Mrs. White lived in the late 1800s and unless it originally came from William Miller, it's possible that she was the originator of the doctrine.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I truly wish someone would write a thesis on this topic. It is more important than any other doctrine. I don't have time. Some scholarly source stated that the WT teaching is abberant even among nonTrinitarians. I get a headache b/c the WT teaching changes every few years. It can only be understood in historical context.

• Ding
    Ding

The Finished Mystery (1917) says that Michael is the Pope.

How did THAT creep in?

• mP
    mP

Ding:

Obviously people are making stuff up :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit