Flood insurance and cover for overland flooding

by Simon 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

With the huge floods in Alberta the news now is starting to cover the issue of property damange and insurance.

We've never really thought a lot about insurance cover for flooding because it became a big issue in the UK about 5-10 years ago with limited land availability leading to building on flood plains and the eventual inevitable consequences and so when we bought over here we didn't buy anywhere that was a possible flood risk. Our choice seems to have worked out as we've been completely untouched by the recent issues but tragically, others have been less fortunate and apparently few people are covered for 'overland flooding' which is where water enters your house through doors and windows.

It's hard to really know what is fair. I understand the reason why insurers don't cover it and the arguments on both sides.

One one hand, we included the flood risk when puchasing a home. Why should we pay premiums for something we will never use for others to experience an idylic location on a river bank and be bailed out by everyone else? Kind of heartless but let's be honest - it wouldn't be fair. On the other, *not* being insured could really wipe someone out and insurers always seem keen to take premiums and more hesitant to actually provide meaningful cover for things. It seems like people should have the option of being insured at a reasonable price but paying more to reflect the increased risk.

The issue seems to be that unlike fire which is a risk for everyone with a home and so something that everyone contributes to and shares the risk of, flooding insurance is not needed by many and because they then don't purchase it the premiums go up for those that would need it to the point of it not being practical for all but the most paranoid.

There's also the issue of flood plains and rivers. They flood. Maybe not every year, maybe not every decade but most waterways flood at some time. Insurance typically covers risk such as the chance that your house might burn down but flooding is more of a "when" rathen than an "if", hence the lack of cover. When floods do occur then many more people are affected at once so it would be devastating to an insurance company and possibly too big of a risk to cover. For insurance to cover floods the price of the premiums would need to reflect the "when" which would end up being the actual price (thus making insurance the cost of a rebuild anyway).

However, you have to feel for peope who's houses have been flooded or even destroyed completely. Is that 'it' ... you're wiped out? Wanting to live in a nice house in a scenic location isn't a crime but then why should everyone else have to contribute to cover that who doesn't get to live there?

There is no easy or fair solution that I can think of ... does it just come down to personal tolerance to risk knowing that something 'might' happen and hoping that it doesn't?

Did you consider flood risk factors when purchasing a house? Do you have flood insurance?

• Simon
  • Simon
    Simon

I have no idea but can people in Tornado or Hurricane prone areas get insurance for those?

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Simon,

Being from the tornado area, it is covered in standard insurance policies. Not floods though. I do not know about hurricanes on the coasts, but I believe wind damage is covered, but not storm surges.

zed

• Simon
    Simon

I guess the risk of being hit by tornados and hurricanes is more random

i.e. even though as a whole certain areas may be more prone to them, it's not like they are always going to hit the same specific spots each time they do occur which would make them different to floods.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Insurance is a game of risk and should not be played emotionally. The first rule of avoiding a disaster is to not be where the disaster is. You made a wise and informed decision not to be too close to the water. Others may have thought the flood would never come to their house. They lost the bet they made.

I do not have flood insurance. My home is about 200 feet above sea level and is not near any river, creek or stream. I DO have earthquake insurance (for replacement value rather than for original cost) because I live in Seattle and I figure that before I die (~30 years or less) it is likely that Seattle will experience a SERIOUS earthquake. MY neighbors and I have undergone disaster preparedness training so that we will be able to get along okay with about a week's disruption in water, electricity, gas and supermarket access.

In my opinion, the only person who can say they "cannot afford" insurance are those who have sufficiently large personal resources that they can be "self-insured." I ain't that guy. Is it possible that I will pay lots of money for insurance that will never pay off? Sure, but the way earthquake is becoming more difficult to find and more expensive when you do find it tells me the insurance statistitians and underwriters are less willing to take this bet.

This is another important topic in the series of "lessons from real life" that you have started, Simon.

Dubs have been dipped in the "free-lunch" mentality that teaches them that they don't need to do anything other than stand on a corner holding magazines in the air ("sacred service").

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

In the United States if you are in a high-risk flood zone you are required to purchase flood insurance. Moderate-risk zones are not required by the federal government but some lenders will require it with your mortgage.

If I remember correctly I believe premiums for flood insurance normally run about $500 annually.

• Simon
    Simon
    My home is about 200 feet above sea level

We have you beat by about 3,000 ft then

... but it all came from the sky

Massive rain in a large mountain / hill catchment area upstream of a major city built on a couple of rivers. Doh !

• Simon
    Simon
    In the United States if you are in a high-risk flood zone you are required to purchase flood insurance. Moderate-risk zones are not required by the federal government but some lenders will require it with your mortgage.

That sound like what they were trying to bring in after the Monitoba floods ... makes sense to provide and mandate it and I guess that volume then should reduce the premiums slightly by spreading the risk more.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

" I guess that volume then should reduce the premiums slightly by spreading the risk more."

I think that in the USA at least, gov't finally realized they could not afford to keep giving handouts to people who lost their homes every year and refused to move off of the flood plain.

...and if your Bank requires that you have flood insurance while you have a mortgage with them, what do they know about the odds that you don't know? Would it be smart to drop your mandatory flood insurance as soon as you can? The Bank was protecting THEIR interest, shouldn't you protect YOURS?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit