Is This Site As Active As It Was In The Past?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I'm just curious if JWN is as busy as it was even a year or two ago?

Sometimes it seems this place buzzes and other times, not so much....but maybe it's all in my head.

• Simon
    Simon

Your head is just full of chocolate !

• Simon
    Simon

And a more serious answer ...

I think the number of topics and posts is lower than it was 4-5 years ago but I think the quality is much better. There used to be an unbelievable amount of fluff / chat / crap / arguments and while we do still have all those, we don't have nearly as many now which I think is a good thing.

The board is always morphing and always will.

One of the jobs that I keep putting off is to go through all the topics and cull the ones that don't really add any value. Fluffy chat or happy birthday topics don't really mean much 10 years on and that will also make it easier to find the nuggets that are there.

I've been working on the new site (no, really, I have!) and having a much better full-text catalog of all the posts allows better matching of topics and will make this easier. You can peek at a preview on http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/ (no login right now so publis topics only).

Still lots of work to do but I'm very happy with the codebase and how things are shaping up.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

The .com site looks very promising!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Definitely down, judging by page views on popular topics.

Is apostasy just not as interesting any more?

I miss the feature that used to allow you view the most popular topics of the week/month/year/all time.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Still lots of work to do but I'm very happy with the codebase and how things are shaping up.

I too am happified.

• minimus
    minimus

Just a thought: having less serious topics or fluff can be a good thing with the right mix.

If most everything I read here was just "apostate" stuff or only JW things, the board wouldn't be as attractive.

I very much enjoy seeing a headline or a news bulletin put on the board such as a major political announcement or a death of a celebrity.

And of course, any and/or all "Minimus" type questions are truly uplifting and "happifying".

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, some fun topics are OK. What ruins it is when people take things too far and start disrupting sensible discussions people are trying to have or drown them out with a deluge of spammy crap.

As I've been looking back its amazing how much crap I allowed at the same time I was being castigated for being too strict. I think that was a mistake. I dont intend to be as tolerant of people being disruptive as I once was.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Just checked out the new site, it's been awhile... and guess what???

My gravatar actually works on the new site!

No more silly stick figure alien- it's the one I put up eons ago but never shows up here...

Can't wait til we can switch over!

• Simon
    Simon

Page views will always be up on older established topics as they have far more time to accumulate hits both from visitors and search bots such as Google.

There are lots of things that the new site gives me chance to fix :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit