Massive flooding in Alberta, Canmore, Calgary

by Simon 85 Replies latest social current

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sunshine!

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

To everyone in Calgary, I hope that you are safe during this crisis.

I was just down last summer in Alberta, and I have some friends in Canmore. Hope they are ok. We are still waiting for their responses. They would have had to evacuate.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Sincerely hope that all are safe.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Some sad news... RCMP confirm 3 dead in Alberta floods.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/22/rcmp-confirm-three-dead-in-alberta-floods-that-forced-100000-to-evacuate/

And the South Saskatchewan River is to crest today as well.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am so impressed with the Calgary Mayor, Naheed Nenshi, and Calgary's emergency responsiveness.

http://www.calgarycitynews.com/

The Mayor tweets. There's a facebook page with updates. When the city website went down from unprecedented traffic, a blog went up with necessary updates. Neighbourhoods were evacuated with alacrity, likely saving lives. 5:00 Friday morning, at a media scrum, the mayor emphasized the critical speaking points and encouraged Calgarians to stay home and have a "family day".

Like Obama, Nenshi is one of the new breed of politicians who has embraced - and understands - the new media, speaking to our generation.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I have to say, jgnat, I agree on Nenshi. I used to trade political commentary on twitter with him before he was elected mayor. He`s a sharp guy.

Looking at downtown and the SAddledome is quite amazing. The amount of clean-up and recovery work is going to be massive. Wish I ran a flood recovery business! LOL

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh Anghard those pictures are so scary. I hope your fine !!!! You know what I will be doing for you
    Dont you ? Yes you guessed it !!!!! ( praying ) Alright Simon stop yelling at me!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Another hero, Alderman John Mar, who called for the evacuation of entire neighbourhoods before the flood hit. When this article was written, it was not known how bad it would get.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/06/20130620-204326.html

When you disrupt the lives of tens of thousands of people, tearing them from their homes and leaving them in exile for what may be days to come, you better be prepared for criticism, if not outright anger. To his credit, Ald. John Mar says he's ready for both.

"Is it inconvenient? Of course it is, and we recognize that. But our job is to protect private property and public infrastructure, while ensuring the safety of Calgarians," Mar said.

"It's better to err on the side of caution."

John Mar

• jgnat
  • Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

My company office in downtown Calgary was not affected but is closed - no power. Those who cannot work remotely from the office are being encouraged to join in the volunteer force and help out. Would most dubs do that - nah...lets say we will help and take the day off.

Emerg efforts have been stellar. I also have business interest in Canmore that was not affected, but again the comraderie and support of a community is overwhelming. I wonder how many dubs were truly so willing to be self sacrificing in a time of need. It brought tears to my eyeys when a single parent interviewed on CBC with two children living on what was clearly a challenging income offered her home to anyone. She even offered to take in any pets displaced. Sheesh...

This brings me to the DC in Calgary. On Wednesday night would they not have been busy cleaning the gum off the floor, caked urine from the washrooms and sticky pop remnants from the last Flames season? Would all of the sound equipment and the publication releases already be in the building? Lets hope jehovah saved all those publications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit