What Good Has the TMS Done?

by Quendi 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Quendi
    Quendi

I have read elsewhere about the talk outlines the WTS provides its public speakers. This raises the question: Since its inception 70 years ago in 1943, what real good has the Theocratic Ministry School accomplished?

Personally, I can say that this was one of the few provisions the WTS has provided that truly benefited me. Yes, I can say I already had a lot of natural ability as a speaker, but the TMS honed that ability to a very fine pitch. However, I can’t say that has been true for the majority of the men I have seen give public talks or meeting parts.

Most, even after years of participating in the TMS, are mediocre speakers at best. A great many are downright bad and have no business giving public talks of any kind. I don’t think this has changed in the three years since I ended all contact with the organization, either. And when I was an active Witness, I used to have TMS overseers come to me for counsel! (All this time I was never considered or recommended to even be a ministerial servant, let alone an elder, mark you.) It made me wonder what good the TMS had done these men and many others whose public talks were nothing short of a disgrace.

I saw the same thing in the canvassing work. Despite years of “training”, I knew many who did not have the necessary versatility to really participate in it. Yet the WTS acts as though anyone can become an accomplished and polished speaker or door-to-door canvasser simply by giving talks in the TMS. Obviously, that is not true. I’m not saying that there have not been many who have profited from TMS instruction, but I honestly think it is wasted on the vast majority of Witnesses. But I also believe that not everyone is cut out for public speaking and the canvassing work either, yet Witnesses are required to be proficient in both. Comment is invited.

Quendi

• Mr. Falcon
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Although I feel I personally benefitted from the TMS and actually enjoyed being the overseer, it really is just part of the Big Hamster Wheel of Activity.

The idea that you never "graduate" the school is consonant with their Endless End-Times theology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit