HOW to accept counsel and criticism from an Elder

by Terry 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TERRY:

Your suggestions are good and might probably work under the right circumstances if it is an elder you could stomach talking to.

Your words might be wasted if you are talking to a nice but ignorant man or one who is biased against you possibly because you are intelligent or have a decent job and aren't dependent on anybody in the religion.

You can't imagine the disillusionment I felt back in the day when faced with somebody who was very biased against the type of person I was. I wasn't guilty of any wrongdoing and was just having what I thought was a "conversation" with this person. When I tried to point out to him that the suggestions in the magazines about being "christian" were meant for everybody there, not just me, and I got a blank stare, I realized it was hopeless.

When I added up this experience plus how I was made to feel at so-called shepherding visits, I wanted NOTHING to do with these ignorant bastards and would never have a conversation with them again.

I didn't know it at the time, but this was just one of the rude awakenings that would finally lead me to walk out.

• Terry
    Terry

Excellent points!

The Watchtower religion is anti-intellectual and under-educated blue collar people with an air of superiority.

They are the kids that are confident they'll ace the test because somebody slipped them the "answers" to the quiz.

If you engage them with a point of logic and take exception to their contrived legalism it is like turning a bug on its back; they'll squirm and wiggle

frantically convince you are the one who is upside down!

The same strategy one should use with growling dogs is applicable to Elders. No sudden moves. Never challenge them.

"I see what you're saying and I know why you're saying it. Jesus would probably have taught that to his apostles if it were important though, wouldn't you think?"

Most counsel from Elders is gossip-originated. Gossip is not allowed--right?

Subjugated goody-goody wives with time on their hands have little else to do but mind each other's business.

"Elder so-and-so, I think you'll find there is about as much substance to that accusation as there is to any other gossip chatter the sisters

seem to waste our time with!" (Flash a Cheesy chauvinist smile.)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

marking

• Terry
    Terry

LongHairGirl:

When I added up this experience plus how I was made to feel at so-called shepherding visits, I wanted NOTHING to do with these ignorant bastards and would never have a conversation with them again.

I didn't know it at the time, but this was just one of the rude awakenings that would finally lead me to walk out.

It wasn't until I started working in that bookstore in the religion section that it fully dawned on me the REAL difference between JW ministers

and christendom's ministers. EDUCATION!

I once shelved a set of volumes on COUNSELING for the CHRISTIAN MINISTER and my jaw dropped!

Whoa!

Jehovah's Witnesses didn't provide any such education for their Elders!!

Then, the thought popped into my head: WHY NOT??

It is because they aren't real ministers; they are Amateurs pretending to be ministers.

All the advice they are called upon to give people struggling with real problems is pulled out of their ass.

And we wonder why JW's are depressed???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit