DFing and shunning causes 22-yr old to murder friend

by Scully 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

So I was randomly watching a show on Investigation Discovery today - the show was called Killer Next Door, and the episode was called Murder Without Motive.

The show is a French-Canadian program that has been translated into English, and this particular episode had to do with a homicide that took place in Ste-Croix-de-Lotbinière, near Quebec City, in November 1999 of a young man named Victor Lemay.

The confessed murderer was his friend, André Roy, then aged 22.

In the year or so that preceded the murder, André Roy had been disfellowshipped from the JWs and had, as a result, been kicked out of his parents' home. He had no social support outside of the JWs and had to start making new friends. The psychologists on the program felt very strongly that the shunning he experienced by the JWs in general, and his family in particular, contributed to increasing rage, and that his friend, Victor, became a convenient outlet for his rage. André Roy's girlfriend testified that he wanted his father blamed for the crime.

Although it's uncommon for Disfellowshipped™ individuals to go to such extremes as a result of shunning, we have seen enough murders committed and suicides to make a compelling case that the practice of Disfellowshipping™ and consequent shunning are harmful and sometimes dangerous practices.

• Thor
    Thor

WOW!

Disfellowshipping and shunning=evil

In my opinion, Mrs, Thor

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Programme synopsis translated by Google (from Scully's link)

• "André Roy, a young man of 22, killed by a bullet to the head his friend Victor Lemay no apparent reason. For two weeks, he participated in research conducted by the Sûreté du Québec. December 7, 1999, the body of Victor Lemay found on the riverfront in Sainte-Croix-de-Lotbitinière less than a mile from his home. Several months later, André Roy denounced to the police because he was afraid to repeat his actions. His girlfriend testified at trial that Andre wanted his father notes with this crime. His parents had denied Jehovah in autumn 1998.Excommunicated by his community, he had to leave the family home. From that time, Andre Roy has been the victim of several depressions and suicide attempts until the drama."
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Scully,

What a tragic consequence to those young lives.

“Although it's uncommon for Disfellowshipped™ individuals to go to such extremes as a result of shunning, we have seen enough murders committed and suicides to make a compelling case that the practice of Disfellowshipping™ and consequent shunning are harmful and sometimes dangerous practices.”

I’ve wondered lately whether Watchtower might have an unexplored vulnerability in its disfellowshipping policy having to do with freedom of religion.

Historically Watchtower lawyers have, in the United States, defended its policy under freedom of religion provisions. Yet Watchtower’s disfellowshipping doctrine reaches beyond religious association and/or membership. Under Watchtower policy a disfellowshipped person who is expelled from membership in the religion is also expelled from social association with longtime friends and family. My wonder is whether this idea of reaching beyond what is strictly religious in nature and into social association might be an overreach.

I know of and realize all the common law that’s available on this question. But I’m not so sure the idea of overreach has been thoroughly explored as though freedom of religion covers policy that demonstrably goes beyond “religion” and into other spheres, like what is “social”.

As you point out and I agree, Watchtower's expulsion doctrine does cause harm; hence a need to find means of defeating the harm.

Marvin Shilmer

• Shador
    Shador
    From that time, Andre Roy has been the victim of several depressions and suicide attempts until the drama.

It is no accident that DFing does this. DFing is DESIGNED to destroy a person mentally and emotionally, so that they will return to the cult. It is probably the single most disgusting, evil practice that WTS has.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Shunning as practiced by JWs is barbaric

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"André"?

Seriously???

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    DFing is DESIGNED to destroy a person mentally and emotionally, so that they will return to the cult. It is probably the single most disgusting, evil practice that WTS has.

I'm actually surprised this does not happen more often. It seems to more often have the effect of depression and withdrawal and extreme low self-esteem. At least, that is what I have observed. More suicides than homicides. The shunning damages and hurts people to their very core.

• Shador
    Shador
    "André"? Seriously???

Guess he shoulda stuck to running....

• flipper
    flipper

How sad. If we were all flies on the wall- I wonder how many murders and suicides have happened as a direct result of the WT Society shunning policies ? I would estimate it has to be in the thousands at least worldwide if not more. Thanks for posting this Scully. People need to wake up and see how dangerous this WT organization really is

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit