the danger of apostacy

by inbetween 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inbetween
    inbetween

Undoubtely the biggest crime in watchtower world is apostacy. The upcoming DC apparently has quite some parts on this issue.

Recently I read a book from the philosopher Hubert Schleichert, the title is something like "How to discuss with fundumantelist without loosing your mind".

He goes into fanatics of all kind, and shows, why apostates are so dangerous for any ideology, may it be religious or even political.

The reason: Any strong ideology is convinced of possesing the truth. This creates a problem, since apparantly not everybody accepts this belief or ideology. However, those outside (world, pagans etc) did not have the chance or did not want to have the chance to fully get acquanted with the "truth" of a certain ideology. So they can be viewed as ignorant, blind whatever, and it creates not a big threat for the ideology itself. However, when those, who at one time shared the belief, turn away, those who seen the "light" turn on purpose to darkness, they must be outright evil, haters of truth, "mentally dsiseased" etc.

In history, every fundumanetly belief or ideology acts like this (example heretics in catholic church, dissidents of marxist world views etc)

They reason, the reaction is soo strong, is in my opinion, because the existence of those turning away from an established truth would lead to a question, a true believer never should ask: "Is there maybe something wrong with my belief ? " The only reason why people turn away from such an obvious truth can only be out of wickedness and hatred for truth. I cannot be because maybe it is not the truth after all.

Apostates, heretics and the like actually create a real problem for every belief. I think this even is worse for witnesses, who pride themselves in accepting people only after a thorough study of the belief system. How can someone fall away after "making the truth their own"?

Therefore its quite to be expected that a belef system like JW will react soo strongly to apostaes, its a defense mechanism, since its very foundation is endangered.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Very true it is a defence mechanism to reject very strongly anything or anyone who threatens our belief system. That is why it is a good idea to have a loose belief system that can change over time so that we are not threatened by anything new that may come along.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I posed this question to an Elder, I asked why he thought so many who had believed, and lived, the JW religion were walking away.

He shrugged and did not answer, I guess it was simply too much for him to face your question "Is there something wrong with my belief ?"

And that is the problem with mind-controlled fundies, they will not honestly and openly look at those pertinent questions, but simply asking them must add to their Cognitive Dissonance, so let's keep pressing the point !

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

"How to discuss with fundumantelist without loosing your mind".

I think I need to read this book.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

True, true, true.

The WBT$ know what they're doing. I wager those in control know they're just running a cult for power and cash.

Now JWs are walking away their cash walks away too and the power the GB masturbate over is walking away. That's why they're raging.

As slimboyfat mentioned in another thread it doesn't mean the WBT$ will die anytime soon.

The WBT$ is a big business and needs to survive. They are going about it in the only way they know how, cover-ups, lies, control and hate. They really are a 'big brother' figure ala 1984. The similarities are astonishing.

"Some people insult those who disagree with them by questioning character or motives instead of focusing on the facts. Name-calling slaps a negative, easy-to-remember label onto a person, a group, or an idea. The name-caller hopes that the label will stick. If people reject the person or the idea on the basis of the negative label instead of weighing the evidence for themselves, the name-caller?s strategy has worked." Awake 2000 Jun 22 p.6
  • Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Great quote punk, it'd be awesome to whip this article out just before the apostate talks at the DC to show the missus.

AlthoughI suspect my cover may be ever so slightly blown if I did.......

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

of course they know what they are doing punk. I never understand how so many posters think them sincere but wrong...ugggg

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

NH&H - I think the reason is because Ray Franz in Crisis of Conscience shows how in those days they appeared a deluded bunch of leaders. I'm sure Ray was sincere.

Nowdays however, I'm inclined to believe the current GB and the lawyers and leaders behind the scenes are fully aware and not deluded.

I also suspect that there is a/are paedophile/s within the ranks of these men and that's why they are so lenient on paedos. If they get found out they get off easily.

The GB getting off easily is a real business model these days. (Hence their King David fixation)

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Any information control system which suppresses free enquiry is doomed inherently from the start. The human desire for freedom of expression, freedom of thought and liberty of mind is a much deeper and powerful human need that will eventually evaporate any short-term system of mind-control.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Hi punk...i havnt read Crisis of Concience...it sounds interesting. In it you say R France says the governing body were deluded but sincere...yea sure,deluded with power and self importance, maybe, but thats not a reason for faith and exercising jugement on the whole world. So what Ray is saying is the G.B said is i can not exist and be sincere unless i think like them and allow there influence and ideas to teach me.Sorry dont buy it. How did God talk with these self important men? .....these men controlled a business empire and Ray thinks they were deluded but sincere...did Ray think they were sincere and saintly people who were meek and mild? punk if i spent a day with those people i am sure i would have seen they were unholy and evil..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit