I9s for volunteers

by dissonance_resolved 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Can you think of any reason why they would start making Bethel volunteers complete I9s?(US work authorization forms). No compensation is received so why would it be considered employment?

• Dagney
    Dagney

Housing and food is considered renumeration if it is in exchange for work.

Have you heard that Bethel is requesting I9's for volunteers? I can tell you for a fact, they have an excellent accountant on staff...he would know.

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Yes, I know for a fact that Bethel is now requesting I9s for temporary assignments.

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Does that mean that the value of the housing and food becomes taxable income?

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

They are likely checking to see if the applicant is eligible to work or be in this country whether paid or unpaid.

• JeffT
    JeffT

What exwhyzee said. The I9 provides proof that they have a legal right to be here and doing something. I bet INS uncovered some scam somewhere that involved work being done by foreign "volunteers" who weren't even in the country legally. I wouldn't read too much into this. The W4 and W9 forms are the ones concerned with tax status.

• Dagney
    Dagney

They are likely checking to see if the applicant is eligible to work or be in this country whether paid or unpaid

Exactly. I just went through a I9 audit with DOHS. Scared the beejeebers out of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit