Gawd, I wish I'd have gotten my teeth fixed.... :(

by Muddy Waters 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Well. Here I am, getting old and having my teeth and fillings (literally!) falling apart now, and barely any dental coverage. I just feel so sad and pissed off that I didn't do more when I was a JW and actually had coverage at the time....

But we all know the story... why spend money, time, effort, etc., in getting your teeth fixed when the new system is right around the corner, yes, any day now! Not to mention that you must be full of pride and vanity if you want to expend any extra effort to have nice teeth and gums.

When I got my front tooth capped, it caused a whole furor in the hall. Stumbled all kinds of idiot JWs about my trying to improve my oral health. (Oh, wait, it wasn't about oral health -- it was totally about vanity, because the JWs certainly know better than the dentist who helped fix my tooth!) Elders got involved in speaking to this one sister who was especially vociferous about my capped tooth. (She had very bad teeth herself.) I was told to be careful about not stumbling others and to remember that the Kingdom preaching and teaching work must always be a priority. Jehovah will fix our teeth in the new system (right around the corner!) So leave all our troubles and worries with him and don't think too much of ourselves than is necessary (obviously at the time, teeth weren't necessary!)

It depresses me so much....

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Please tell me you are joking.. ROFL

People are mad because you got a tooth capped??? WTF

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

try to win the big lottery. Good Luck!

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Oh yes, totally, SoConfused. This was about 20 years ago, mind you. Perhaps JWs are finally clueing in about dental health.
    20 years ago it was a "stumbling block" and you were full of vanity if you wanted to get your teeth fixed.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

You can buy plastic ones like my mum.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I got braces as an adult and the CO wife asked why? It was a great choice for me and do not regret.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

It is just amazing how jws react to such matters. One time the boe wrote the branch for direction about such a personal health matter. The branch wrote back that if the person makes known to others in the cong what was done and the cong is disturbed by it, then judicial action needed to take place. Hence I learned that personal health matters should be kept secret from those in the cong.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

MW...your story reminded me of when I was younger and feared the dentist. Prior to any visit to the dentist I would pray every night for the big A to arrive so I wouldn't have to go through the needles and the drilling...

FS...you have a lovely smile...

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

@muddy waters, I'm wit'ya bro, I wish I'd gotten mine done too...but then I'm British so it doesn't really matter does it?!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

One of the first things I did post jws was get my teeth fixed. All done in S.E. Asia, mostly Bali but I got three gold teeth in Thailand (before gold prices went crazy). The Orthodontist wanted to perfectly match my other teeth with porcelain but I said if I'm spending this kind of money I want people to know! LOL! I didn't smile a lot when I travelled alone in the boondocks of places like Cambodia. The poverty was so bad they would easily kill for that gold.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit