Will Google Balloons help turn the tide in developing countries?

by cedars 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

Well, I'm back on JWN so I may as well start a new thread!

This story caught my eye on Sky News recently...

http://news.sky.com/story/1104007/google-balloon-project-gets-off-the-ground

Google tests internet balloons over New Zealand

It's basically a new initiative from Google to bring the internet to far flung parts of the Earth including parts of Africa that are simply not wired up to the internet yet.

I'm not sure how the accessibility will work in terms of subscriptions etc, but Google seem serious about it and early tests have been positive.

So, the question raised in my mind was, could this turn the tide against the Watchtower? It's already been established that publisher growth is higher in lands where fewer people are online. Granted, correlation does not equal causation - but it makes sense that the Society should face a tougher challenge in converting people if they can jump online and get the full story in a few clicks.

I don't know if everyone will get as excited as me, but hopefully you will find this development interesting nonetheless.

Cedars

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yes, the abandoned mothers and their nine starving babies can now meet their demise happily with Google Internet in such places as Sudan or Bangliadesh.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

James, in most of these countries what that starving mother needs in the long run is information. Information is what topples dictators. Now of they could just fly theses over North Korea.

(Not bibles)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm thinking...

...less "internet access", more "cargo cult".

Kidding. Every bit helps.

As I said in another thread, "may the inexorable tide of the Information Age never ebb"...

• james_woods
    james_woods
    James, in most of these countries what that starving mother needs in the long run is information. Information is what topples dictators. Now of they could just fly theses over North Korea.
    (Not bibles)

And I assume that these starving innocent already have screen phones or laptops to read the Google Internet these balloons will provide? Sorry, most of these countries need clean safe water, adequate food, and security more than the internet.

• cedars
    cedars

james_woods

Sorry, most of these countries need clean safe water, adequate food, and security more than the internet.

That's surely another issue entirely! Since when was it Google's job to provide everyone with food, water and security?

If this works, I think it's a great development - and not just from a Watchtower perspective. More information and communication means more opportunities to get out of poverty.

Cedars

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

Yes! Welcome back Cedars. Good to see you around.

To comment on your topic:

Things like Cell phones have changed the game in developing countries. Yes, people need food, but they also need information to stay on top of the game to get food, water, sanitation. One practical example:

We had for centuries guys in african markets that actet as lenders. They come from the same family lineage and basically control the prices and the interest rates. They have the monopoly on these markets. Since the advent of cell phones, people startet contacting each other and borrowing money between themselves, leaving the "middle men" out. Also exchanging information about where to get rice, flour, etc. avoiding having to walk for miles without end. They toppled the "power" and this is a big step in the fight against poverty.

Let the ballons come. Only good can come from this. Also: Finally you will have Witnesses from poorer countries reading JWN.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Cedars, this thread is exactly the sort of deep intellectual conversation that I have missed since you have been away.

• cedars
    cedars

Cedars, this thread is exactly the sort of deep intellectual conversation that I have missed since you have been away.

Thanks James! I've still been having deep intellectual conversations all along, but mostly with my imaginary friends!

Cedars

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Are we talking lonely-6-year-old-type imaginary friends, or scary-voices-in-my-head-type imaginary friends?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit