Does the borg really produce great readers? How much did you actually read when in?

by likeabird 23 Replies latest jw friends

• likeabird
    likeabird

Lisa Rose, I hope you can find an online cause that can suit you. Learning and studying is actually very liberating. Sometimes I almost feel like a dry sponge just absorbing all the knowledge I can. And it feels so so good!

Sophie and Julia, I totally agree with the pure enjoyment of reading something that has been beautifully written (I often choose my fiction based on it's literary style) and just entering into the story and getting totally absorbed in it.

That's something you never get in WT pubs and as I write I'm just wondering : maybe that's why they always hastle us to meditate. I mean WT meditation is more like forcibly putting yourself into a story, which just goes to show how badly WT stuff is written. I mean how many stories do you know where the author writes on the back of the book - 'you must stop and meditate as you read this story'? The publisher would just laugh the author out of his office and bin the manuscript!

• JWOP
    JWOP

One of the very few good things about having been raised a JW is that it did give me a good reading ability. Not only was there lots of reading involved, but they often used unusual words (which also gave me a good basis on using the dictionary, LOL!). Although the material was also boring and dry, I do feel it did hone my reading skills.

• JWOP
    JWOP

Oh, and I also know a woman who came to be a JW with her hubby after they'd been married a while. Before meeting the Witnesses she didn't know how to read at all. Through the "Bible Studies" she was taught to read and became a very good reader before her baptism. Although I don't think the JW thing was good for her, I still believe giving her the ability to read was a good thing.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I learned a very special skill as a JW. It is how to totally ignore the context of entire " chapters " of the Bible. Fortunately, I loved to read many other types of books, and had a natural aversion to WTBTS literature. Eventually the natural, logical process of reading context became the norm. This of course, made me an unfit candidate for ever becoming a " spiritually strong (tm) " JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit