JT - we're both right and wrong

by bluesapphire 14 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Hi. I just wanted to tell you that I found information in an old catechism. Basically, it shows that *some* Archdioceses abstained from meat on ALL Fridays prior to Vatican II. It is up to the Bishop of each Archdiocese and most Dioceses in the Roman Catholic Rite in the US had that. So that's why your FIL abstained from meat on ALL Fridays but my parents only during Lent because we are from Costa Rica. So YOU are correct in that!

I am correct in stating that it is not and was never a "sin worthy of hell." For a sin worthy of hell, it would have to have the three things I mentioned in the other thread. Any priest or nun who conveyed the idea to your FIL that he would go to hell if he ate meat was WRONG. Or possibly didnt' communicate effectively in a way a child could understand. Also, those older catechisms used language that was more *stern* and, in my opinion, tactless.

On Fridays a Catholic is supposed to do some sort of penitential act or charitable act, not necessarily abstaining from meat. But if a Catholic DOESN'T BELIEVE IN THIS, and thus, doesn't do it, it is not a sin worthy of hell.

The Church didn't "change" this discipline. Fridays have always been the day of penitence from the times of the early Christians. In fact, Christians practiced penance on Wednesdays AND Fridays. What the Church said was, "Instead of us telling you what your penance is going to be, you choose it." The principle is the same though.

I know your point is religions claiming to "speak for God" and this got off topic. That's why I felt embarrassed to continue on the other thread.

Well, I gotta go. I brought work home tonight and can't have fun here on the board for too long.

Bye.

• JT
    JT

I have no desire to argue over Catholic dogma- i could care less,
    it worst than the JW--

let me make my point real simple--

you have a group of men --be it wt or the catholic church (pick your any religion) who make up rules - say that they are supported by god and if you break them you have sinned
    BOTTOM LINE

THEN-- 2 weeks later as it were- come back and say GOD has revealed to us it ain't a SIN NO MORE

in the mean time folks lives both emotionally and othewise has been shot to He!! cause they thought that they were on god's bad side

bottom line

if rutherford ever got anything right it was when he said

religion is a snare and a racket

just my 2

• spender
    spender

I agree with everything you said JT :)

• JT
    JT

I see too many times folks get lost in terms of not being able to see the forest for the trees

all religions by default almost most INVOKE their connection to god or else they will not have to much appeal in the market place of worship

I mean what car dealer tells you to buy some others dealers car

i have yet to see Ford run an ad telling you to buy you a good ole chevy

smile

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

JT, you have the right to your opinion and I respect that. And I don't come here to argue Catholic stuff either.

The reason for my post was because you made an incorrect statement about the Catholic Church and then told me to do my research rather than backup your own statement.

So I did the research and I posted it. Plain and simple.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Hey, JT.

You're Profile pic went from Malcom X to a red X.

What's up with that?

God is smiling on you but He's frowning, too, because only God know's what you'll go through.

• Almost There
    Almost There

Bluesaphire,

I agree not to ague the point. But I grew up with alot of Catholics and THEY DID PRACTICE the NO MEAT on Fridays.

If you are in America, most people cook and eat Fish on Fridays. I know my family does and we were no where near Catholic.

The Catholic practice is why MOST people have Fish on Fridays in America.

• LDH
    LDH

By the way, I grew up in Upstate NY where it was considered EVERYONE was Catholic.

Red Meat was NEVER served in any school on a Friday. It was either pizza or fish sticks.

The Catholic kids I went to school with said it was a SIN to eat red meat, (if they observed you eating your lunch and it had meat you were in for it).

Now perhaps being kids they didn't get it quite right because we know how JW kids are when asked why they don't do something. The short answer, "IT'S A SIN!"

Lisa

• nita6368
    nita6368

I was raised in a Catholic home well my dad was a very devout Catholic attended mass everyday ,and my mom was a convert, kept dad happy. But anyway something I have always wondered about, the no meat on Friday thing. I can honestly say until I was 17 I never ate meat on Friday. The first time I did it was pepperoni pizza, I honestly was almost afraid to swallow it, it was scary. But anyway back to the sacrifice of not eating meat...we would go out for crab legs and shrimp, tell me how was that a sacrifice, it never made sense to me. Kind of like, "you can't have beer"...."here drink this $150 bottle of Dom instead we are being pennitent(sp)".

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Almost There, my dispute was with JT's statement that the Church taught that if you ate meat - even if you were a child - you would go to hell. That is a FALSE statement.

I wasn't aware that most Catholics in the US abstained from meat on all Fridays prior to 1960s. Now it's ony the 7 Fridays of Lent.

If someone is going to bash the Catholic Church - or the JW's - or whatever Church -- then they should have their facts straight. That's MY point.

And when someone makes ANY statement, THEY should do the research if it's asked for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit