Confessing Sins !.... to Man, Priest. Non - Biblical Teaching ?

by *lost* 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *lost*
    *lost*

Is this not one of the statement jw's use against the Church.

That it is non-Biblical.

Can anyone add to this, very interesting me thinks.

( will look it up in more detail and add to it )

Thanks

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Not certain what you are after. However, no, confessing sins to a man, elders, overseers, a priest, etc. is not biblical.

Therefore openly confess YOUR sins to one another and pray for one another, that YOU may get healed. A righteous man’s supplication, when it is at work, has much force.
    - James 5:16

Paul, in writing 1 Corinthians, did not address it to the elders of the congregation:

Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through God’s will, and Sos′the·nes our brother 2 to the congregation of God that is in Corinth, to YOU who have been sanctified in union with Christ Jesus, called to be holy ones, together with all who everywhere are calling upon the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours
    - 1 Cor 1:1,2

Thus, when he wrote "Remove the wicked man from among yourselves" (1 Cor 5:13), he was talking to the whole congregation. In addition, 2 Cor 2:6 says: "This rebuke given by the majority is sufficient for such a man."

These verses all indicate that confession and discipline should be open at the congregation level.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Thanks.

the organisation has put 'men' in an elevated position over the sheep, when they are supposed to be humble men and in a lower position, they are like priests, to have jw's ''confess their sins'' and if it is unscriptural, it is another shining light on their mis-teachings.

It came up in another thread. Confessing sins to the elders.

I wanted to draw attention to it for lurkers, to give them food for thought.

• Watkins
    Watkins

Leaving Quietly - YES! I brought those very verses up to the elders - they insisted it is they who REPRESENT the congregation in these matters of confession. Where does the Bible say, "representatives"? NO WHERE! They can't see that their way of handling things makes the whole congregation subject to rumors and gossip and division - when it could and should be a very closely-knit community of people who truly love and share and help each other as equals in Christ. THAT was how the first century believers did it, and it worked fine.

Sure, the RCC has an unbiblical doctrine of confession to priests, BUT the wtbts has an unbiblical doctrine of confession to a judicial committee/elders. Not so different, eh?

• *lost*
    *lost*

Watkins

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

There is a huge difference between confession to a priest and to a JW elder. First of all a priest is educated in console, 6 years of college. A elder MAY have a GED and that is about all. Secondly, the Catholic church does not go after members to make them confess even if they did something that made it to front page news. It also is not considered a sin not to go to confession. The sacrament of Confession is strongly encourage because of it's benefits to the penitent. When I confess my sins, it is a very hard thing to do, I have to truly confront myself, but when I hear those words that I am forgiven I have such a feeling weight lifted off of me. Thirdly, Preists have to have ethics of complete confidentality. I know that ethic well as a psychotherapist. I could be sued if I leaked any info on my clients; a priest can no longer be a priest if he breaks this important vow. With a JW elder... well as anyone knows, the entire congragation will know all the details in less than a week.

However to me the biggest difference is the motives between the two. The priest is there to forgive your sins and help you achieve forgiveness from within yourself so you come out feeling stronger. The elder is more interested in "keep the congragation clean" than on helping someone with individual troubles.

• *lost*
    *lost*

roberta, good points and explanation of confessions in religion.

However, is it not clearly stated in the scriptures, man does not have any power, or the right to forgive any person of their sins?

therefore, they are putting themselves in the place of the Mediator, Jesus.

there has also been controversy with catholic Priests, confession and the law.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    However, is it not clearly stated in the scriptures, man does not have any power, or the right to forgive any person of their sins?

No, authority to forgive sins (in the lord's name) is clearly stated in the risen Lord's commission to the apostles (John 23):

[Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

• barry
    barry

Protestants are also encouraged to talk to a priest for confession of sins but the priest has no authority to forgive sins that is Gods work. Isn't it better to get advice from someone who is well trained and a professional rather than a window cleaner and had the assurance of confidentiality. Barry

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

The is the whole thing Barry, being a professional or just trying to act like one. Plumbers in Sunday suits is what I call the elders. They think their professional when they carry a briefcase... lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit