Beyond Bitterness?

by DogGone 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• DogGone
    DogGone

Like many, my path to the TTATT was a long and painful journey. I wasn’t mature or intellectually honest enough to "wake up" while still an active Witness. (I applaud those who have awaken while active; that is mental rigour I wish I had!) I had to confess my sins repeatedly, get disfellowshipped, be denied reinstatement, and then slowly, layer by layer, work my mind free.

I actually thanked my judicial committee when they disfellowshipped me. I thought this would help me out of my sinful state and was a loving provision from Jehovah. I would defend the JW religion to non-believers when I told them my story – I’d say that I had broken the rules. “See, they are principled and honest!” Pure d enial.

Eventually, after obsessive study I began to understand. The entire mental edifice just collapsed. I had created so many exceptions, so many “double think” threads that, when I looked at it, I said to myself “If this is the Truth, how exactly does it look any different than a lie?”

For a while I was angry and bitter. I lost much and my pain was immense. Now, I look at it that whole chapter of my life with a mix of humour and sadness.

My close friend, who gave up a failed Pioneer career, was disfellowshipped for visiting with myself and another disfellowshipped mutual friend (separate occasions). His self-righteous older brother has followed the hardline, as has his father. Half a decade later, my good friend is still so bitter, so angry. His experience permeates his life.

We all have different stories, makeups, and consequences for abandoning the club. He has much to be hurt, bitter, and angry about.

Recently, we were talking at length over scotch with a few other x-JWs I’m fortunate enough to call my friends. He, once again, was on with his favourite topic, “the Truth” and how angry he is. I asked him to stop calling it “the Truth” since we all know it is not. He said “I know but I can’t. It won’t leave me!”

My wonderful friend is angry with God. The rest of us don’t particularly believe G(g)od is relevant.

I wonder what internal movement, what thought, what kind word, helped move you from bitterness to acceptance? In particular, was there anything some kindly friend showed you or said? I’m not sure it is my place to push him into apostasy… however, it is an infinitely happier place to be than the quasi-believer weeping and gnashing his teeth because he’s outside the party.

I appreciate any thoughts.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Since I left the "flock" two and a half years ago, I have reconnected with disassociated and disfellowshipped family members. They were so relieved to learn ttatt. All these years they felt bad about themselves, like they had turned their backs on god himself. Now they realize they were in a false religion and are happy to be free.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

The natural reaction to being misled is to be mad as heck and to be bitter about it. It takes conscious effort to have a better experience. For me, it was realizing another truth, that even the GB are victims of the lie. Sure, they perpetrate it, but they are at the same believers of total nonsense. So who can you be mad at?

I see a lot of people here still reference C of C by Ray Franz so I will too. His demeanor was without bitterness. It is a frank telling of events and what led him to TTATT. C of C might be something to reccommend?

• DogGone
    DogGone

Whathappened - it is terrific how you are able to help others. My mother is a similar case. She was never baptized and had nothing to do with the religion once she became a teenager. However, she always carried guilt that she was not living up to the “truth”. A year ago she searched about TTATT on the internet and is now free from the guilt. She spoke about it with me like it was the most amazing news. I felt foolish that I was too uncomfortable to have discussed it with her before.

Bob_NC – your perspective is very balanced. Thank-you for your suggestion to pass on CoC. It is an excellent one. I think I might just do that. Put the book in his hands and see if he has the courage to dive in.

• d
    d

I was bitter from 2009 into 2010 but now I have overcome most of it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Getting a more complete picture helps.

Your friend is likely in a LOT of denial, still. Still a believer. He likely needs to talk a lot about his wt issues and beliefs. Coming here and doing just that would likely do the trick.

S

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

It took a lot of digging and reading for me to little by little get rid of the mental residue left over from being a life long witness. It is quite an accomplishment to rid oneself of that " But what if they really are right ?" feeling. The best thing for me was seeing the misinformation in the old literature such as that old 1984 Watchtower with all the (long dead) elderly Bethelites looking heavenward, enntitled, 1914...The Generation That Will Not Pass Away. Their own publications containing misinformation, coupled with a death of a my Dad over the blood issue as well as the injustice treatment of a family member by the Elders gave me the courage to act on what I had realized decades ago. If someone is carrying around Watchtower learned guilt, I think it's best for them to rid themselves of it by looking at all the mistakes, lies and wrong infromation in the publications from the past in which they learned "the truth" in the first place.

Too bad there isn't one book or collection of information where it's all contained in one place.

• clarity
    clarity

DogGone ... you seem to have a wonderful perspective

& sense of justice. Lovely to have you here!

>

Anything bitter seems to need a catharsis.

To swallow a bitter pill ...whether literal or figurative

is sickening & needs to be cleared from the body.

If he has been 'in' for a long time, it is hard to come to the realization

that much of life has passed by and was wasted peddling

wt books d2d!

He may not have reached that point yet but probably

needs to go thru the grieving process and let it go.

>

clarity

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Maybe we all just wanted to believe that we had a shot at something fantastic. I know I would get lost in thought imagining what it would be like to meet my dead loved ones. The truth about the truth is there's a lot of things going on that don't make sense and bring up those huge red flags deep down inside. I raise a glass to those out and in because somewhere in the most profound parts of their heart they believe or don't and anger is undoubtedly the first reaction. Even bitterness but I'm sure those things will pass with time as we embark on some other new journey. -Sammy

• steve2
    steve2

The Witnesses bandy the word "bitter" around to shut down questions. No one likes to be accused of being bitter, so to avoid being labeled in this disapproving way, Witnesses who have doubts suppress them. Contrary to their views, suppressing doubts is far, far more likely to lead to bitterness than investigating those doubts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit