Why do they keep doing this?

by TTATT 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TTATT
    TTATT

"Even many who claim to be religious feel that they are at liberty to do what they think is right, without any obligation to obey God and his commandments. (Ps. 14:1) This attitude may pose a real threat to true Christians. The unwary may adopt the same view of theocratic arrangements. They may be unwilling to go along with congregation procedures and may even complain about anything not to their liking. Or they may have reservations about Biblebased counsel on entertainment, use of the Internet, and the pursuit of higher education."
    Watchtower September 2013, study edition, page 20.

What exactly does the bibel say about entertainment, use of the internet, and higher education? How can they keep this up without no one of their members waking up?!

• Listener
    Listener

The picture that they included (re comparisons) about music was so wrong. On the left hand side they had hip hop playing on a mobile (bad) on the right side was violin music (good). They demonstrate how out of touch they are as well as being overly judgemental on matters that should not concern them.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Of course, those theocratic arrangements and congregational procedures were made up by men, who left a long paper trail, and who thought it was to their liking and that they were right. So it's okay to follow them?

• Mum
    Mum

They're so much like the Roman Catholic Church that, given the choice we all have, why not just be Catholic?

Catholics are pretty tightly controlled if they're devout. But they differ in a good way from the JW's in that they are encouraged to put their family first, not making converts.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

" Biblebased counsel on entertainment, use of the Internet, and the pursuit of higher education"

It is all about it being based on the Bible. But the Bible was about history of a nation thousands of years ago, or some letters narrowly written to others based on that history.

The writer here is just trying to keep a grip on the people by making those things about obedience to God.

Do what they say to obey God. That is the definition of a cult.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Mum.

It is just not the Catholic Church, but just about any main stream religion supports family first before converting others. I have been Catholic for 10 plus years now. I'm not what I would call a "Good Catholic", I attend about 10 times a year, but I am ALWAYS greeted sincerely and treated like I attend every week. If something bothers me, Father is always there. The main difference between cults and mainstream religions is that religions are there for the people/families, with cults, the people/families are there to be used by the cult.

• Elizabeth123
    Elizabeth123

There are only two commandments. They are adding to them in violation of the rule about adding to and taking away from the Bible. Shame on THEM. Also, they are breaking another rule about being busybodies and meddling in the affairs of others.

• whathappened
    whathappened

A couple of years ago, it was all about the sisters showing cleavage. They kept saying that sisters should never wear anything that exposed cleavage no matter what poster she took. This means that no matter how far you bend down, if someone caught a glimpse of cleavage hoy were not obeying council from the FDS. Some elders said in private, "enough already."

I, being a busty sister, continued to wear whatever I wanted and the flat chested sisters would always mention my low cut dresses. I just laughed.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

It's a cult!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit