Why JW's take on education is truly disingenuous

by Black Man 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

We've all waxed poetic about the JW views on higher education and how they truly stifled people trying to pursue an education. But what did they offer as an ALTERNATIVE??!!

At least Mormons (who's theology is as equally fucked up as JWs) had an accredited school in Brigham Young University that their people could aspire to attend. At least they could go to college, and have something to show for it, that translates into the REAL WORLD.

During my formative years, JWs would harp on this topic mercilessly always through the short-sighted lens of logic suggesting that going to college was somehow Satanic and shows that we're choosing a materialistic life that is unfocused on serving God. When in reality, one of the keys to happiness is realizing our POTENTIAL and college with its ability to help develop one's critical thinking abilities along with studying a career field, help's one to realize their potential.

I remember even at a young age the insult I felt at the insinuation that the Theocratic Ministry School or reading the magazines was akin to receiving a college education - which was COMPLETE AND TOTAL BULLSHIT.

During my years as a JW, I have attended their so-called educational programs - Pioneer School, Bethel, Ministerial Training School - and you know what??!! NONE OF THOSE THINGS TRANSLATES TO THE REAL WORLD. You can't walk into a corporation, company, whatever and flaunt those as credentials (i.e. - I've been on the Theocratic Ministry School for 30 years, now give me a job).

If JWs were truly serious about education, they would use all that money they take in from their real estate endeavors and from the flock and open an accredited college or university. But no, instead they squander people's potential with their bullshit rhetoric on education.

Thankfully, I've landed in a decent place career-wise, but I think of so many people in my peer group who swallowed the WTBS's education bullshit hook, line and sinker and now their lives are part of the collateral damage that this organization has left behind in its wake. Squandered POTENTIAL, squandered LIVES.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I hear you... I grew up in a hall were the one kid that went to college was seen as a worldly person and everyone has said do not associate with him. He might as well have been disfellowshipped. But then he got a good Job and moved away while all of us either settled for pioneering and Bethel or fell out the truth and ended up hustling on the corners. You see they don't want to offer an alternative or let you go to college because in such an institution you learn HOW TO THINK. Thinking is deadly to this group because once you learn how to think you instantly see the flaws of this religion / you stop donating / then leave. However take solace in the fact that you can go on a job interview and explain to them how the 1984 awake article about polar bears qualifies you for a job as a zoologist

• wasblind
    wasblind

The WTS holds fast to outlawed practices that have been fought against in the civil rights movement of the 50' and 60's

They are able to do this under the guise of a religion

Specifically, when it comes to higher education and the right to vote

Each and every member of Every race in the religion of the Jehovah's Witnesses is affected

Once upon a time, and far from bein' a fairy tale

A black person could be beaten to death if they attempted to learn

people have been killed and thier homes burned to silence their voice

from a vote

And yet, the WTS still condem and these hard fought rights

Why ? Because education teaches you to become independant thinkers

and to vote means you won't " Wait on the Kingdom "

The WTS need to be in control of the minds of their followers ; where those followers can accept

that their best interests is served by doin' what the WTS bid them to do

• sd-7
    sd-7

Much as it may seem crazy, the Theocratic Ministry School does provide some training that is useful: public speaking. Otherwise, everything else means you can read (and comprehend: see any meeting where you can underline the answer, assuming the answer isn't the whole paragraph) at maybe a 6th grade level. The Service Meeting could equip you for door-to-door sales...

But otherwise, it's not very useful in the real world. I think Randy Watters (the living legend, Dogpatch) once pointed out that while the Society denies the right to higher education to its followers, it has no problem employing the use of lawyers, doctors, dentists, and the like when it serves the Watchtower's purposes to do so. So it's a double standard, clearly.

--sd-7

• sir82
    sir82
    During my years as a JW, I have attended their so-called educational programs - Pioneer School, Bethel, Ministerial Training School - and you know what??!! NONE OF THOSE THINGS TRANSLATES TO THE REAL WORLD.

Well yeah, but it's preparing you for the "real life" - life in a paradise earth!

<Derisive snort>

If education in the "paradise earth" wouuld be anything even remotely close to the brain-numbing drudgery of any of the above-mentioned "divine education" schooling, just shoot me now.

No wait - in that case I'd get a resurrection into that stultifying "new world", surrounded by smug JWs. Just can't win.

Back to the topic, my biggest peeve is that university education is always presented in the starkest of black and white terms.

Based on what the WT writes, fully 100%, without exception, of all university attendees are doing it for fame, or money, or prestige, or all 3 at once.

Yes, those thousands of elementary school teachers & social workers that gradute every year are in it for the big bucks!

Idiots. (the WTS, not the teachers)

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Another element to this JW saga is that we were robbed of 4 years of fun. I have watched my two daughters have the absolute time of their lives at CU these last 4 years. The age of 18-22 should be a very, very happy time in our life. Instead many of us were beating the pavement, pounding on doors and desperately looking for a marriage mate so we could move out from our parents house, while we worked nights cleaning toilets.

• wasblind
    wasblind

SD-7

The theocratic ministry school book has a great lesson on how to tell lies wit' conviction

after all, the WTS been doin' it for decades

When I come back from the store, my ol' man ask where his change is

Don't know why he won't give me his debit card

This is what I do thanks to the Theocratic Ministry School book

#32 EXPRESS WITH CONVICTION

" Speak in a manner that shows you are fully convinced of the " Truthfulness " and importance of what you are saying.'____Theocratic Ministry School book page 194

I say " I don't know where your change is " convincingly !

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

Oh yea !! and did you know Freddie Franz was a rhodes scholar.... but it would be better for you if you didn't get an education and sell his latest book door to door...

• jam
    jam

The education you receive in the borg, you could become

a great politician, a good B___Sh__tter.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

GREAT THREAD!

The last assembly I attended ( around 2 years ago ) had 2 sisters give a dramatization about a High School counselor and a Jehovah's Witness sister who had to decide either to go to College or Pioneer. I will paraphrase as best as I can.

High School Counselor: ''Have a seat Karen and I will show you all the College applications I have for you.''

Sister: ''Thank you for all the work you have done.''

Counselor: '' I have an application from Harvard,one from Michigan University,and a couple from the East Coast.''

Sister: '' I have done alot of thinking and decided not to go to any College."

Counselor: ''Karen,you have a 4.0 grade average and scored very high on the A.C.T. and you would have no problem getting into any of these schools."

Sister: '' As you know,I'm a Jehovah's Witness and we believe that we are near the ''end times.'' I decided that I will go into the preaching work part time and maybe go to a 2 year school."

Counselor: ''You will probably get into these schools at almost no cost because of your 4.0 average and high A.C.T. scores and have a good career the rest of your life.These are great schools and will prepare you to land a good job.''

Sister: ''This world is passing by and may not be here any longer. I decided to enter the ministry work and Jehovah God will provide for me in the future."

Everyone applauded except me. That was really sad to see!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit