A conundrum for ex's

by ctrwtf 11 Replies latest jw friends

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

So...hanging out with some new found friends. They're talking about going to church. The whole family goes, everything is great.

My daughter comes home talking about her friend that had his first communion. Again, the whole family is there, ceremony and tradition and good times for all. Now I realize that probably the only real truth dispensed by the borg is that religion is a snare and a racket. But I find myself attracted to the tradition and family time that being a part of main stream religion provides. But here's the conundrum. After being indoctrinated that all religion outside the borg is false, you are left with literally nothing after you realize TTATT.

Sorry if I'm a little distracted, I am watching the Liberace bio-pic while typing and it's a little unsettling for me to see Michael Douglas kissing Matt Damon. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Back to my conundrum. I am probably agnostic. I know religion is a crutch for the weak minded. Yet I wonder if I am denying myself and my family the real benefits of main stream christianity. We all have the proverbial monkey on our back. How great would it be to walk into a confessional and talk about the fact that we drink too much, or have impure thoughts, or hate the church and then still be told that God loves us? Sometimes I think the Catholics aren't so wroing about helping people through life and death.

Maybe this is the thing that I hate the most about the Wit's. Even after you escape, you are denied the real benefits of main stream religion that all of your neighbors seem to enjoy.

Sorry if Im rambling, thanks for reading, CTRWTF

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I have a friend that goes to a church to worship, they believe in Hell, Trinity, immorality of the soul etc, but they do not teach them. Just tradition i guess. Anyway my friend does not believe in any of those and has told a lot of people there this including the leaders. They have no problem with this. Also i went with him to a study group and there they discussed a topic and every one there could talk and say what they believed etc. They all had bibles with them and new how to find scriptures. Isn't that what Paul said when he told us to gather together and to incite ones to fine works.

• StAnn
  • wha happened?
    wha happened?

I don't see myself walking into any church unless it's a wedding or funeral. The thought of another religion just turns my stomache

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have no interest in religion - PERIOD. There is no conundrum, the decision has been made.

In my new life I have to make decisions related to what I teach my little girl about Christianity. I will not knowingly give her any suggestion that Christianity is a legitimate option. Her mother is a non practicing Buddhist. That is as close to Christianity that I ever want my daughter to come.

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

Thanks St A Checked out the link....don't think I'm ready to make that leap yet.

WH, maybe that's what I'm wondering about. Now that I am sans religion, what do I do for weddings and funerals?

NY44 My son is interested in Buddhism. There are lots of groups where I live. I think my attraction to christianity is partially cultural, partially the message that we're all good and just trying to be better. To me that's the message that any religion should send. Still, I haven't made up my mind.

Thanks for the thoughts

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's been said before, the WTBTS is good at creating athiests.

Check out this thread:

So apparently I'm now a Secular Humanist

Then take the survey and see how you rank!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I think you can create some good family traditions, have good times with your kids, without going to church to accomplish it. Why not volunteer together? Hike together? Build stuff together? Lots of things are possible.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I took a comparative religions class last semester for an anthropology credit and my big project was to go to two different church services and write a 7 page paper comparing the two, I went to a traditional catholic mass and a non-denominational service

I get what you are saying about feeling a sense of comunity and the social aspects of belonging to a church,

I really loved the traditional "motions" of the catholic service, as a participator one could really feel that they were part of something...part of me really felt at home with the structure and pomp and circumstance

The non-denominational one gave me more "creepy vibes" than the catholic service with the group singing and raising their hands in the air, but I noticed that they offered many different specific programs for people to choose to be a part of...so one could even skip the service if they want and join a youth group, softball league, or bible study group, young moms...

There are so many options out there and you wont be struck by lightning by the almighty if you walk into a church...so what the hell...just try one once and see what you think, the great thing about not being a JW is that you never have to committ to anything and you never have to close the door on any possibilities. I am still an agnostic, but the assignment really taught me to just try new experiences...it will only enrich your life and expose you to new people to get to know

CHG

• *lost*
    *lost*

Well, all organised reilgions are 'false' religions if you look into their history.

I don't think religion is a crutch for the 'weak minded'. I'm certainly not a weak minded person, or I will still be a jw. lol.

But whatever floats your boat, you are free to choose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit