Cultural JWs

by wizzstick 8 Replies latest jw friends

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Following a comment by Sapphy on another thread on cultural JWs, it got me thinking about my circle of 30 something JW friends.

They fall into roughly two groups. Couples without kids, couples with kids.

The couples without kids are the most interesting. They're mainly career types, but with one foot firmly in JW land. On the one hand, they go on lots of holidays. They are into running. They read lots of books and watch lots of films. They're culturally aware. They're bright intelligent people. On the other hand they'll do the pioneer thing in March. Keen to apply the career ideas to the Truth. Publisher to MS to Elder.

Never the less, they're a fun bunch. When we're together we laugh and share stuff. Interestingly the one thing that never gets talked about is spiritual things. Never comes up. And that's the weird thing. They're all born in, and all just accept. It's so frustrating. One old friend has a beard, which he keeps so he won't be asked to do anything. So I thought he'd be good to talk to about the July WT.

Here's a cut and paste (with minimal edits for anonymity reasons) of our Google Chat conversation:

11:42 me : You read the July 15th WT yet? 11:46 Friend : No Summarise, as if twitter length me : Ok in tweets 11:47 The Faith and Discrete Slave (FDS) is the Governing Body of JWs The FDS has only existed since 1919 11:48 Charles Taze Russell was not used by God There is no evil slave class They were appointed over his belongings in 1919 11:49 Have not been appointed over the domestics as yet (but they will be) Friend : Does anybody care? This is all in the past, right? me : Ha True 11:50 Most will think 'didn't we always believe this'?! Friend : Feel like there's a bigger picture to all these little tweaks me : I think so I wonder if they'll ditch 607 - 1914 by next year 11:51 I suspect its cos we've got a new GB (in effect) Friend : New thoughts are always about things I didn't understand or didn't even know about. me : HA Out with the old in with the new 11:52 Friend : To be honest they could change everything and I wouldn't care. In some ways I probably have more faith than others because I'd just blindly accept it without looking it up myself. In other ways it probably shows I have no appreciation, or something. 11:53 I'm not really a details man in this regard me : Thats how most JWs who were 'born in' are I've realised. Friend : Yeah me : For many its like being a Catholic or Protestant Its there religion Like whatever the football team is they support 11:54 Dosn't matter whether its real or made up! Friend : yeah - let's just skip the fussy fluffy details me : Yep (Having re-read the above I realise some of my summary of the WT was a bit off by the way) Incredible. This guy is bright as a button, but just accepts it all. In fact, as you can see with his 11:52 comment, he doesn't really care. This group, as I said above, have no kids. 7 couples. All 30 something. Given that most baptismal candidates are from within, and if this continues, then where will the next gen of candidates come from in years to come? In fact locally, the few families that there are have moved from three congs into one as they were the only family in their cong. We've moved too, so this one cong is has a few families now. Cultural JW's. Born in's. Happy with the staus quo. I guess one waits till something happens before they'll listen.

• running_away
    running_away

50% of them are like this

45% are very old people

5% are still-in-apostates

that's why the JW still exists.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yep - I agree.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

You just summed up my siblings.

• nugget
    nugget

JWs just accept that is the problem and the danger. The question is that what are their limits and what will they draw the line at?

• Honesty
    Honesty

You said that your friend is highly intelligent.

I hope you don't get mad, but he doesn't sound very bright to me.

In fact, I doubt that he has ever used critical thinking when it comes to his beliefs.

I feel sorry for him in a way, but part of me just says, "He deserves the cult."

Just my 2.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I been in 6 congregation during my life and all of them was nothing like that. 50% old, 20% working poor, 20% with children and 10% real oddballs. Out of all those groups I mention about 50% to 70% had emtional problems of one kind or another. Wizzstick you must live in the NE or Cal. were there is some money. In a few congregation we would see maybe one or two couples who was doing good money wise. Totally ADD

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Totally ADD,

I'm in a capital city, with 8M people, so I think you're right. Probably a more prosperous area = different JWs'

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Friend : To be honest they could change everything and I wouldn't care. In some ways I probably have more faith than others because I'd just blindly accept it without looking it up myself.

That about sums it up for most of them.

Don't try to confuse the issue with (jw)facts.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit