Paul didn't write Hebrews!

by badboy 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• badboy
    badboy

I understand from a 1981 edition that Paul wrote Hebrews.

Not so, I understand that its style is different from Paul's letters and that early Church Fathers say that Barsabbas(sp)alias Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus(Hebrews does mention the Jerusalem temple)

I humbly suggest that the WT buys a NIV study bible and toss all those factually inaccurate sources out of the window

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I humbly suggest that the WT buys a NIV study bible and toss all those factually inaccurate sources out of the window

I think they have! See their points in the Daniel's Prophecy book (page 264) where they use the NIV in their fanciful contention that the "ships of Kittim" pictured the warships of Britain and America lying off the western coast of Europe in the First World War. Fat lot of good they made of the NIV!

Re Hebrews, no minister I have discussed this with, nor Bible commentaries I have read would agree with the WTS contention that Paul wrote Hebrews. Yet the WTS gives it as FACT.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

A bit too easy and quick to decide over a beer or a cup of tea or thru a couple of lines here that Paul did not write to the Hebrews. Lots of scholars say No, lots say Yes.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Paul did not write anything over a few words because his eyes were bad, but Paul did commission the documents to be written by Luke and others or dictated such letters. Hebrews was written because of what happened to Paul when James nearly killed him in Jerusalem and it was directed at such Christian Jews as James and the Apostles that still kept the Law.
    Joseph

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

Not only have they bought the NIV, but they have also read the NIBC. I noticed in the 'Greatest Man' book that sentences were plaigerised almost verbatim from the NIBC.

Best - HS

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Old Hippie,

I've not read any modern scholars who believe Paul is the Author of Hebrews.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Why Paul could not write the book of Hebrews?

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW
    Paul did not write anything over a few words because his eyes were bad

How can you be so sure? Take a look at the footnote of Galatians 6:11.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Here is a little bit of research from when we discussed a similar topic about a year ago:

Disputed author: Hebrews

By mid-second century Alexandrian exegetes had placed Hebrews among the letters of Paul, though they recognized that it was so different in language and style from the Pauline correspondence that some special account of its authorship was required. Thus Clement thought that Luke had translated a Pauline letter in Hebrew (though the presence of plays on words in Greek shows that it is not a translation), and Origen held that it was written by an unknown disciple of Paul's. In any case, 2.3-4 suggests that the author comes from a generation after that of the apostles.
    From The New Oxford Annotated Bible
    The identity of the author of Hebrews is not known. Allusions in Clement of Rome's letter to the Corinthians attest to the authoritative status of Hebrews before the end of the first century. Presumably Clement knew who the author was. Later on, however, questions regarding the authorship of the letter contributed to the general neglect it suffered in western or Latin Christianity. Jerome's acceptance of the work as coming from the pen of Paul, and in particular the title "The Epistle of Paul to the Hebrews" in the Vulgate, was mainly responsible for the belief, unquestioned for more than a thousand years, it its Pauline authorship. But there are adequate reasons for rejecting Paul as its author. First, the writer's style is different from Paul's; second, the issue seems to be settled by his assertion that he (together, apparently, with his readers) received the gospel from those who heard the Lord (2.3).

Of many conjectures that have been offered, there are but two that merit serious consideration. The author was clearly a person in a position of leadership in the apostolic church, intellectually distinguished, theologically mature, and with a profound knowledge of the Bible; two candidates mentioned in the New Testament who meet these criteria are Barnabas and Apollos, both of whom were Jewish Christians.
    from The Oxford Companion to the Bible

From http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=4753&site=3

Ginny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit