Time For Brits To Think Again?

by Englishman 20 Replies latest jw friends

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Long live the Queen! (Can I be Knighted now?).

• Englishman
    Englishman

ThiChi,

Indeed, dear boy, you can now be knighted.

"Arise, Sir Cumference!"

Englishman.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Off with their heads!

Goodbye Queenie, Charles and the rest, I'm voting for a person picked at random from anywhere in the country to sevre as King or Queen for a year at a time, to perform all the ceromony crap etc to keep those types happy ,to bring in some cash for the rest of us and to stop these privlages running in the family.
    How about it?

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

All this talk of American Presidents. For the same reasons yall dont like them, we do like them. Americans, generally are not about pomp and circumstances. Here rich live with poor. I live in a poor black neighborhood, and one block away is Hyde Park, a wealthy white. Which is where we do all of our shopping. Only in Cincinnati, is where you shop a determining factor in your social standing in the community hehe.

But we like the fact that our presidents are regular joes. That they make these guffaws...We are told from the time we are young kids, anyone can be president. John Mellencamp has a song with a line "Boy you're gonna be president some day. But just like everything else those silly dreams just came and went." Still we are allowed the dream. I seriously doubt most Brits have any delusions of joining the royal family.

Of course personally I think the entire british system is interesting. Everything pointed out about the moneys it generates was new to me, and I had not considered that in the past. It seems fairly pragmatic then.

Still it is just those differences between the royalty and the presidency that makes one fit for brits and the other fit for Americans.

Like the election. Many people in the world thought it was a mockery. But, it got americans involved. People who perhaps were not interested in politics before, voted that year, and were certainly discussing the entire thing. Bush may seem lackluster to some of yall from other parts of the world, but to some of us here, he is very charismatic, because he understands what, some, of us want, and what our concerns are. Gore, would really have gotten on my nerves, but at least he wasnt ugly. And with 9-11, I think he would have taken a strong stand just like Bush did, and I would be as proud of him as I am of Bush. Still while I disagree with his politics, some, he too is pretty charismatic, for the same reasons as Bush.

We all know that our presidents come from families that have generations in politics. We are not deceiving ourselves. We also know that they are monied. But what a lot of people dont understand, is that there really is not that much difference between monied americans and poor. We often eat the same foods, where the same clothes, and have the same concerns. Sure rich folks have more Choices, Tavern on the green tonight dear or Burger King? Their kids will usually choose, and get, Burger King. Just like a poor family.

We like our presidents hanging out camping. Getting dirty. Clinton has really been through the ringer because he let the stress get to him. Ok so someone gave him a hummer big deal. Just dont ahem, lie about it to a court ok? Bush might or might not be tickling someon gal's pickle right now. Though being pseudo prudes, we will pretend not. Gore, definitely would not...did you see how he kissed his wife during the elections? That one act alone is a defining moment of American Politics. That swayed huge numbers of voters, especially women, to his side.

And that, being as important as it was in American Politics, it ought to tell you a bit about us. Yall take the monarchy, it's cool. We will take our presidents and all of their idiosyncrasies.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Though I have never been to England, I have felt her “effects.” I have owned three MGB sports cars in the last twenty-five years, something about just sitting in one, top down and just driving....Also, the Music that came out of England in the 60's is still my favorite...Beatles, Stones, Animals..(Eric Burden lives in my area, very cool cat- one day I will tell some stories with Eric).

Englishmen: I get to sit at the First Round Table? A true honor! (does anything bad happen to him later??? hehe)

• Englishman
    Englishman

ThiChi,

I too have owned an MGB, 1971, teal blue with a soft top, I was never to keen on the GT version so I opted for the roadster. As I recall it had 2 six volt batteries under the rear shelf, twin SU carbs and Rostyle wheels.

The US version was slightly different and featured plastic bumpers and higher suspension.

Hey! just found this pic from Oz, looks just like mine, not many had that weird radiator grille.

Englishman.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Sweet! Chrome bumpers! Way to go! Like you said, In the US they went to the “Rubber” bumpers after 73. I will own a pre 73 one day.........

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Darn you are so cool - Eman.
    I had a '74 GT Coupe - rubber bumper model.
    I loved that car and just gave it up last year.

Converted to single battery, electronic ignition, and alloy wheels. Other than that, original in every way.

An ex-friend (JW) has a '67 GT Coupe with chrome bumpers and spoked wheels.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I forgot to add - I had a Webasco sunroof, too.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Li'l Toe,

Ever seen one of these? That's me driving my kid brothers Pilgrim Bulldog. He built it himself.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit