Ok ladies help me out, coupons, does it make sense to spend $5. in gas to save .50 cents?

by jam 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jam
    jam

Because it is on sale doesn,t mean it,s a saving, 5lbs of

prunes is not a good deal. Wouldn,t it be more economocal

to have one price, less paper clippings. Who came up with this

idea (coupons). The wife just open the Sunday paper and the

clipping starts. Things we have never thought about purchasing,

now all of a sudden we need it. A rip off. To buy cat food because

it,s on sale, hell we don,t have a cat but her daughter does.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'll buy something that's on sale if it's something I use and if it's in the stores I go to. I won't drive out of my way or make a special trip just because something is a few cents cheaper. My time is worth something too.

W

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

It can be good, but like everything, it requires paying attention.

We collect coupons but they go into a folder. We only save the coupons for things we actually use.

When it goes on sale we pull the coupon out and use it.

If you know the right place to look you can even get coupons that reduce the price of items to free. It can be economical but you have to make sure of three criteria:

1) Do you need it?

2) With the coupon, will it be cheaper than other brands?

3) How much time are you spending managing it?

Follow that criteria and you'll save a bit of money. It's not a secret to becoming wealthy, but a good habit to get into.

• jam
    jam

Finally-Free: yes that,s the point, something you

use in the furture not something you may use in the coming days.

Paralipomenon: Her folder , large.LOL Everywhere we stop the folder

come out, let me see if I have a coupon. Doesn,t matter, burgers, tacos,

you name it, she have a coupons. The only place she don,t use them

Walmart.

• Simon
    Simon

Coupons are a way to have differential pricing, that is, to charge different prices to different people for the same thing.

The principal is that most people won't go to the bother of collecting them etc... because their time is worth more than the money. BUT for people who are struggling financially, lower paid etc... it can make a big difference and be worth doing. The producers would rather sell something full price but would also rather sell something for less than not sell it.

These 'extreme couponing' programmes really annoy me as they destroy this setup just because some greedy idiot wants to fill their basement with more than they need. It's rediculous and will end up ruining the system that is important to other people.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

When I went through my coupon stage about 25 years ago, I used coupons only for stuff I actually needed. On average, I saved anywhere from $10 to $15 a week. At that time in my life, that amount was a significant savings for me.

But it's a lot of hassle to clip and organize coupons every week.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

5lbs ofprunes is not a good deal.

You are absolutely correct. Pruns are disgusting.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

oops... did i miss the point of the OP?

• just Ron
    just Ron

most of the time, coupons are only published for items I don't use. I've yet to see a coupon for real butter, milk, fresh meat, or fresh fruit/vegetables. Most of the packaged items I buy are store brand and I rarely find a coupon for the name brand items that would make them cheaper than the store brand. The only grocery store in town is WalMart, so there are no double coupon days or store coupons than can be stacked. It may be possible in some places to really save a significant amount of money couponing, but with my food preferences and the area I live it's just not worth my time.

Finally Awake on Just ron's computer

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

If you are going to spending the money on it anyway, then it makes sense. Otherwise, don't go out of your way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit