Scientists - need your help please, school project

by *lost* 5 Replies latest jw friends

• *lost*
    *lost*

I need ideas for a simple school science project for my daughter.

It is for 11 year olds, so needs to be quick and easy.

Can you give me some ideas for her.

Much thanks.

• cantleave
    cantleave

What is she interested in?

There are some great experiments here

http://www.kidspot.com.au/kids-activities-and-games/science-experiments+10.htm

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a great example of how inquiry and the scientific method can inspire children.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2010/12/22/bee-blackawton-science-journal.html

• Scully
    Scully

The old volcano with baking soda and vinegar thing always makes a splash.

A couple of other ideas that use kitchen items would be

What is an emulsion? One clear container with oil and vinegar, maintaining their separation, even with shaking (like a salad dressing); then another container with the same amounts of oil and vinegar, and a packet of regular mustard (yep, mustard!). Add the mustard to the oil and vinegar and shake it up - the oil and vinegar can mix because the mustard helps form an emulsion.

What is surface tension? Again, you'll use a clear container with water in it and a small amount of oil to float on the surface. Add a drop of dishwashing liquid in the middle and watch the oil scoot away to the edges of the container. The soap changes the surface tension of the water so that the oil disperses. Another example would be where a paper clip (or a pin, if they are allowed at school) can be made to float on top of water. Or how water will form beads on a freshly waxed surface - use a white wax crayon and a small spray bottle to mist water - you'll get a great effect if you use a smooth plastic cup or a mirror and wax one half of the surface but not the other.

You can look up the definitions for the terms on wikipedia and give other examples of emulsions or discuss why surface tension is important.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

osmosis-use celery stalks and colored water to show how the cell walls in plants suck water up into the stem.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Thank you all so very much, much appreciated.

Gonna sit down with her after school and kick ideas about.

She herself loves space etc and science and animals.

She's going through a really tough time at the moment, re seperation and twat of a father.

She's depressed, and to be honest I fear she is teetering on the edge of a 'breakdown' of some sort.

So want to get her absorbed in project as best I can, keep her mind focused.

Will put a bit of info on it in the private section.

I know it's good to talk, and you all have such a welath of experience and knowledge on such things.

( which I do highly respect, by the way )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit