'' Jehovists'' - good term

by *lost* 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *lost*
    *lost*

Someone used this term on another thread.

Sorry, can't recall your name, so please let us know.

I thought this was a brilliant title, and I think I will be using it from now on when I think of WT, GB, JW's.

I think it aptly sums up ''the cult''.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

*lost*, this is from Wiki. If you are interested in broadening the meaning of the word, then go for it. But strictly speaking, it only refers to JWs in the Soviet Union. The other meanings then don't apply.

Jehovist may refer to one of the following:

• (Normally Jahwist ): One of the four sources making up the Pentateuch (Jewish Torah ) according to the documentary hypothesis .
    • Yehowists, a Russian 19th century sect
    • An adherent of Yahwism (also called a Yahwist)

A term used for Jehovah's Witnesses in the Soviet Union

• *lost*
    *lost*

Vidqun thank you.

That is something I will be researching.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I call them 'Jehovans with a side order of Christ'. But 'Jehovist' works too.

Edited to add: Outlaw calls them 'Watchtards'. This also works.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Or, jokehovian witlesses.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

What about "Jehovians"?

• Mum
    Mum

The term "Jehovists" appears, if I recall correctly, in John Steinbeck's book, The Grapes of Wrath. The Jobes, or one or some of them, in their travels, encounter some "Jehovists," but I don't think any detail is given about their religious beliefs, but, perhaps only their sexual passion. It has been a very long time since I read that book, so take what I say with a grain of salt, and don't quote me.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Someone used this term on another thread.

Sorry, can't recall your name, so please let us know.

I confess, I did it! :P

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

In my original tongue, a dictionary from the 1960's defines the term "Jehovism" is defined as "Worship of Jehovah or YAHWEH, the Hebrew deity".

Also, from the top of my head, I recall that the Larousse Encyclopaedia relates it with the term "Russelism" and CT Russell.

Eden

• *lost*
    *lost*

Eden one good job. I love it.

What I like about 'jehovists' is it is not offensive, and cannot be taken 'wrongly' as an insult, and I think it sums it up nicely.

Whilst I am no longer jw ( praises) i would never want to come across as critical or hateful or vengeful to

former 'brothers and sisters' who are blind to the truth.

I would much prefer lurkers, and those who are on the fence, to realise this very important thing.

Then WT and GB have no ammunition against us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit