2014 means "LUCY, you've got some splainin' to do" for Jehovah's Witnesses

by Terry 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

MAJOR Since the October 1914 date for Jesus 'return' aka invisible second coming can be debunked.Then the follow up doctrine of the 31/2 wait until the selection and sealing of the 'annointed' is also false.Ergo,no 1914 then there can be no 1918 inspection and sealing of the 'anointed' so the entire Watchtower Bible and Tract Society doctrinal superstructure comes crashing down like a house of cards. .......This would mean that the Watchtower leaders the governing body are illegitimate.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Jehovah's Witnesses say that Jesus ALREADY had his second coming in 1914.
    Jesus himself warned of those false prophets who would say,"see he is there in the wilderness,or see he is there in the synagogue'.
    Jesus further warned DO NOT GO AFTER THEM.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

another interesting quote that seems to fit the JWand thier constant enxitement and desire for the end

Amos 5:18 NIV
    Woe to you who long for the day of the LORD! Why do you long for the day of the LORD? That day will be darkness, not light.

• Terry
    Terry

Amos 5:18 NIV
    Woe to you who long for the day of the LORD! Why do you long for the day of the LORD? That day will be darkness, not light.

Indeed. Any true believer who identifies with victimhood and who sees only enemies everywhere really paints their life into a bleak corner.

This world means less and less and the NEXT WORLD becomes everything.

This explains why education, senior care, career mean little or nothing to JW's. They can't wait to get rid of everybody and start over.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

RE: fulfillment of prophecies by events in modern day Israeli history. Sorry, perhaps my lifestyle is showing but the modern state of Israel is not the ancient Israelite nation. I spent years with Zionists and some friends whose grandparents or greatgrandparents were instrumental in Zionism long before the Holocaust. Israel today is hard to figure out. There is no Temple worship for one obvious thing.

Friends get very passionate about what i consider small things in Israel. The range of opinions is very broad.

Israel is very impt to Jewish identification. Not even yeshiva grads, though, see it as fulfillment. Well, maybe in the broadest strokes.

I don't understand the nuances at all.

There are more Jews in NYC. One could find Mike Bloomberg's election as Mayor a fulfillment of Biblical prophecy. One Hasidic sect has a mobile educational van and also a van for ritual purificiation. The Lubavitchers? I overhear stories about dynastic succession on the subway. These affect more Jews and the Jews in Israel. Fulfillment is always where you want to see it. Indeed, the closing of a major butcher might bring disaster to these people. We view with our Christian eyes and see little.

• Terry
    Terry

The irony to me is that religious persons (of whatever faith) who are the most sincerely dedicated to living by the holy word (of their holy book)

are seen as outside mainstream and as fanatics. Well, excuuuuse meeeeee, but, these are the TRUE believers. The fact that the holy texts

actually call for astonishingly disruptive behavior is the REAL problem.

Ancient texts from turbulent and backward societies can't possibly bring peace on earth unless it is the peace one finds at a vast graveyard.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Thank you Terry. This is excellent.

gorgia

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    CyrusThePersian - "I don't to this day understand why these people got themselves all worked up over chronology when every time they made a prediction it turned out to be in error."

It wasn't just them; it still goes on.

Conservative individuals have never been comfortable with the rate of rapid change in society around them; even in the mid-1800s, it felt horribly chaotic and uncomfortable. Even today, desperately hoping and praying that something monumental will come along and "set it all right" is the only thing that keeps many of them from curling up into a fetal position and crying "lalalalalalala" to drown out the noise.

When you've been conditioned to have a religious worldview your entire life on top of that, apocalyptic millennialism is almost inevitable, and the temptation to start predicting dates (based on whatever) simply becomes too strong to resist.

Then as the group becomes established and institutionalized, it practically needs to date-set in order to keep its membership active and bring in fresh recruits; it stagnates otherwise (which is arguably what's happening in the WTS).

CyrusThePersian - "You would think at some point they would just throw up their hands and say,"OK, this just ain't working" and go do something else to occupy their time."

For people like Miller, Barbour, et. al., it was all they knew.

• Terry
    Terry

The psychology of date-setting, in my opinion, is desperately wanting to DO something to make it HAPPEN.

If you can escalate the event it is like proving you are really right after all.

Setting a date-certain makes it REAL because you've scheduled the event like any other daily happening!

Also, it is calling your own bluff! it is daring Jehovah to make good on all those promises!

When a person with cognitive dissonance has his views DISPROVED---the reasearch shows---they are driven even deeper into the delusion rather

than dissuaded!

"I've invested this much time and energy--I may as well not quit now....not when it is so close...."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit