144,000 virgins?

by zound 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heathen
    heathen

The WTBTS uses old testament scripture in reference to the nation of Israel being called GODs wife, in a spiritual way, they had a covenent or legal contract and whenever they went after other GODS they were accused of adultering with the world . The way I see it is the did not defile themelves with women means they made themselves eunich as jesus did say many would make themselves eunich(symbolically} on behalf of the kingdome and of course the apostle John referred to being a chaste virgin earlier in his writings and means the friendship with the world is enmity with GOD . Do not be corrupted by worldly ideologies or cults .

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Why use the word virgin?

I like the 144,000 are women and Jesus has brides. That is a good one.

Did anyone ever noticed in the WT they were men with white robes not too sure but I think they had white wings. The good old boys club! Now,I am wondering if any of them were black men?

Anyhow, if I remember women partook and were part of the 144,000 but WTBTS books never had a women with the 144,000 with white robes. Just the Harlot who had a nice evening dress.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jeffro, i got that from jesus, one evening, when me and him were semi anethsetized.

S

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

your funny, LOL.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

The BECNT-Revelation commentary (Grant R. Osborne, p.529-30) has some interesting thoughts about Revelation 14:4

(Rev 14:4 NWT) . . .These are the ones that did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins.. . .

The 'a' part of the verse consists of two phrases that are somewhat antithetical. The commentary says:

The problem with this is that emolunthesan ["defile"] refers to moral defilement and would entail a serious denigration of marriage, an attitude missing from passages encouraging celibacy (Matt. 19:12; 1 Cor. 7:1, 32). Therefore, a figurative connotation is much better, identifying the victorious saints as those who refused to participate not only in immorality but in worldly pursuits of all kinds . . .

Another problem is that parthenoi [virgins] is masculine, "a rare form that seems to restrict the imagery to men."

The commentary goes on to surmise that the two phrases may be a conflation of two ideas:

(1) That of soldiers in a holy war who, by OT standards, were to avoid contact with women while on a campaign (this is the 'did not defile themselves with women' part; The idea of saints participating in 'holy war' is also expressed in Rev 2:27; 17:14; compare also 2 Tim. 2:3-4).

(2) Taking up the 'virgin bride of Christ' metaphor ['they are vigins' part; The 'maleness' of the virginity simply agreeing with the maleness of the first phrase, as a matter of linguistic convenience].

Interestingly, the next part of the verse involving 'following the Lamb no matter where he goes,' may hint at the idea Jesus expressed in connection with taking up one's stake/cross and following Jesus, even into death. The commentary says, "the idea of following to the point of death also occurs in Matt. 10:38; Lk 17:33; Jn 12:25-26; 13:36; 1 Pet. 2:21; Rev 12:11." This idea would correspond with Revelation 6:11; 20:4, and may possibly be what is implied by the 'sealing' of Rev 7:4-8.

• prologos
    prologos

Bobcat your interstingly--- comment nails it. thank you. make it permanent.

• prologos
    prologos

Bobcat your interstingly--- comment nails it. thank you. make it permanent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit