Gut wrenching situation

by laverite 14 Replies latest jw friends

• laverite
    laverite

I have a close relative who has a baby with a terminal medical condition. He could go at any moment or last a few years. But the ultimate outcome is that he will die very young. My relative is a Witness, and the child was taken into State custody for medical purposes (the JW family have no say over his medical care -- the State does) so that he coud receive blood transfusions as needed.

On Facebook this morning, my relative posted about someone she has met whose child has the same condition. That child is terminal and his time left is now very short. That child's mom posted an update indicating that it won't be long now. My relative and this other mother are posting on each other's status updates to support each other through.

In response to these posts, a Sister TM from my relative's congregation wrote: "We have a hope that a lot of people do not have and maybe soon Gods kingdom will wipe out this world." My first reaction was how cold this Sister TM is that she would post this right where this poor non JW mother is sharing about her dying child. My second reaction was: "MAYBE? Wot da wot?" Things have surely changed since I left the bOrg. It used to be that there was no doubt that Jehovah WOULD wipe out this Wicked System of Things TM ...no ifs ands buts or maybes about it and that it WOULD be not only soon, but any second now! Zero doubts. Absolutely no way, no how that it wouldn't be any moment now. Armageddon was so close, it was closer than our underwear, closer than our nose hair.

So that "maybe" was a shock even more than the mean "we have a hope others don't..." that clearly left the poor mother of the dying child among those who do not have hope. I know to expect that from Witnesses, but not these new qualified words like "maybe Jehovah will..."

Wow.

• suavojr
    suavojr

It is the confirmation that we humans just don't know what the future will bring ( The WT for sure has no clue) and unless God manifests himself in a powerful way, mankind will continue its course to atheism, doubt or we will just find something bigger and better than God.

Life is short and we must try to leave this world a better place than we found it, I wish you the best and don't hesitate to show comfort to those two families.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There are those sisters. In my experience, the brothers while uncouth and without tact would never make the blood lust claims that the sisters did. It hurts to the core. Try to take it from the source. What can you do? The elders will prob. say she was right.

• laverite
    laverite

Suavojr - we certainly do not know what the future will bring. But JWs certainly believe(d) they know what the future brings.

And, Band, your post brings up interesting questions regarding gender differences among the Brothers and Sisters. You have me thinking now...

• Mum
    Mum

Heartbreaking. I have a friend who turned atheist after working in a children's ward and seeing sweet, innocent babies suffering and dying every day.

• laverite
    laverite

I can certainly understand how that could be the case, Mum. I honestly cannot imagine working on a children's ward. I couldn't do it. I would be a mess. I have three children and I just couldn't. Being a father is the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. I would be an emotional wreck and I can understand how working in such a situation would call into question core beliefs.

The situation I wrote about is tragic. Beyond tragic. It is gut wrenching. I can't hardly even stand to think about it. The Sister's comments just added insult to injury, I felt, to that poor woman who is currently living many people's worst nightmare. It was so cold hearted. But at the same time, I thought it was interesting with the qualified "maybe" that was in there.

• Simon
    Simon

So their words of comfort consist of "hey, your baby is dying ... but don't worry, soon God will kill MILLIONS of other babies too !!! Rejoice ..."

What religion does to some minds is beyond stupid.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

". . . . . and maybe soon Gods kingdom will wipe out this world."

Fact of the matter is that the vast majority of JWs no long really believe that Armageddon is imminent.

They are more worried about pensions and enjoying "this" life.

Doc

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    The situation I wrote about is tragic. Beyond tragic. It is gut wrenching. I can't hardly even stand to think about it.

To my mind the big difference is you do think about it and feel empathy and wonder what it means in your belief system, Laverite. I think that is the whole point of cults like the JWs, they are tailored to people who can't stand to think about anything difficult. They dole out the answer that the 'Sister' gave that God will wave his magic wand soon and kiss it all better. Reality is very, very hard and people run to cults because they don't want to even try and face up to it.

Vey interesting point that she said 'maybe' soon God's Kingdom will wipe out this world. There does seem to be a sea-change happening doesn't there? Does she mean they are doubting that it will be in their life-time because of the lunatic overlapping generations thing or that it will happen at all?

• flipper
    flipper

LAVERITE- My condolences on the baby's condition to you and the terrible sadness this must be causing your relative. This idiot JW lady has no real empathy or authentic human compassion at all. Of course- most JW's don't. But it's no excuse for insensitivity at such an awful time for your relative. I'm glad your relative has you as a support and strength at this difficult time. Hang in there friend. WT organization is sadistic in how they train these people

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit