29-30 Years Later

by RAYZORBLADE 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Good day everyone. I don't post on here very often, if at all. Used to pepper this site quite a bit 8-10 years ago. Great site. It helped me immensely, especially considering how long I had been away from the so-called 'Truth'. I had no idea that there were all these changes within the WTBTS. A few things that I recalled that were such pillars to their beliefs ... changed after I exited back in 1983/84.

When I first visited this site, I had posted a few topics in the "Personal Experiences & Reunions" section.

Over the years, I did come into contact with a couple of people. That was great.

In April of this year 2013, because I had to attend my mother's funeral in Atlantic Canada, I had an opportunity to actually meet-up with my former JW friends; now ex-JWs.

I finally had an opportunity to meet a dear former JW friend from southern New Brunswick. We met at a restaurant and it was so wonderful to see her after ALL these years. She met my brother and cousin, and we had a warm conversation and it was just remarkable to finally lay eyes upon her. A wonderful and pleasant reunion. She is such a sweetheart. She was back then and still remains an outstanding individual.

Following day, my brother and I venture across the Canada-U.S. border into the state of Maine. There I meet a very dear friend, whom actually located me on Facebook. He told me had moved from Canada to the United States, married an American gal (she too is now an ex-JW) and we kept in contact for years. He was from New Brunswick but had moved to Arizona. Eventually, he left the American southwest and moved to the beautiful New England state of Maine.

We had wanted to meet for ages, but due to timing and distance it was next to impossible.

My mother passes, therefor I had to head back east and I secretly arranged to meet up with my good friend, through his wife. She knew we were coming over from Canada.

It was a bit nerve wracking as I had to figure out where their little shop was in this small town, and do it in such a way to invoke the element of surprise. I finally found out where they were, and I could look through their shop window. His wife spotted me and gave me a huge wink and I could see her going to get her camera. I composed myself and walked into their shop incognito < yes just like this icon. Haha! I ask about a problem I had with some technical issue related to computers etc., but the funny part was ... he was surprised ... but then said: "Wait ... I know that voice!" and well ... the rest is history. After nearly 30 years, we finally lay eyes upon one another, but better still ... a good ol' bear hug for each other. His wife was ecstatic!

You sometimes think, you will never ever see some people again. Then out of nowhere, someone somewhere IS looking for you. When you do make that contact, it can be a two edge sword. Are they still active Jehovah's Witnesses or are they now inactive or disassociated or disfellowshipped? You don't know until the first exchange. Fortunately for me, these last two had left the Jehovah's Witnesses, and for them it has not been easy due to their Family/Parents being Active and very staunch Witnesses. For my female friend, her parents have pretty much written her off (via letter); yet she has a sister who is no longer a JW, and many loyal friends who LOVE her unconditionally. She is going to be OK.

It's been nearly 2 months since this reunion, but it sure gave me a sorely needed morale boost after my mother's passing in that very same week.

For those of you who long for long lost friends/contacts within the organization. Be patient, or look them up on Facebook or on-line somewheres and you may be pleasantly surprised.

That fear of Rejection is indeed very real for those of us who have been part of the WTBTS. We know their workings and their so-called 'loving' disciplinary act of Disfellowshipping. One never knows that if you reach out to someone, that they will reject you again. But, if you think about it, you have nothing to lose. You will know one way or another where you stand.

Sometimes, you'll make a connection like you wouldn't believe, like I did.

Lasting friendships rekindled after 29-30 years. It can happen, and if you're especially lucky, these people are well adjusted and doing VERY WELL post-JW. Their living a successful life is testimony that there is indeed a life outside of the Organization.

Just thought I'd share that little anecdote. If you are searching for long lost JW friends - don't give up. They too may be looking for YOU!

Have a great day wherever you are.

• clarity
    clarity

Nice to see you on here again Rayzorblade, glad that you

have found old friends! Guess a lot has changed since

you left LOL.

clarity

• maninthemiddle
  • Gayle
    Gayle

Wow, I have had a handful of "blasts from the past" too. Love it!!

• Glander
    Glander

I have contacted acouple of old friiends just to say hello and find out if they were still active in JW's.

One was not, two others were and when my status came out they got off the phone quick and cold.

The internet search capabilities of today make it easier to dig up past aquaintences. The tough ones to find are the ones with names like Richard Jones, etc.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I haven't been as active in searching for so-called long lost JW's as one never knows what their status is, until you contact them. But with Facebook of course, you can sometimes get a sneak peek at what they're doing, especially an Kingdom Hall photos or assembly pics. If I see that: I don't even bother. Why waste my time.

Sometimes it's more ambiguous. Cannot be too sure, but I will send a message and keep it general. I won't bring up anything JW or WTBTS (that'd be the death knell in some instances). So far so good.

Thanks Glander and nice to see you too Clarity. To think I was on here quite a bit back in 2003. Went to the mini Detroit Apostafest in September of that year. That was nice. Some very good people down there in southeastern Michigan.

Thank you Gayle and maninthemiddle. Appreciate the little follow-ups.

Have a good weekend everyone, wherever you may be.

• mouthy
    mouthy

OH Rayzorblade((((((((HUGS)))) remember me ???? I will NEVER forget you XXX

Grace

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Of course I remember you Granny Grace. How could I forget you?

Impossible!

• minimus
    minimus

Razor, great to see u.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well My kids, grandkids, greatgrand kids forgot me Razor on orders of the Faithful & discreet slave

Thanks for the hugs I needed that from you (HUG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit