Faith Healers etc ... what thoughts now ?

by *lost* 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *lost*
    *lost*

yeah - i'm not too sure about homeopathy myself.

Super-resistance

'' In an ideal world, the food we eat would be organically grown in soil uncontaminated by heavy metals and acid rain;

The vegetables we eat would be freshly picked from our own gardens;

the water we drink would be spring-pure and the air we would breathe would be mountain fresh.

For the vast majority of us, this ideal is a sremote as the Garden of Eden

Our bodies suffer the daily insult of pollutants and the stress of food that is often deficient in micronutrients.

The fact that the human race has evolved at all is remarkable. we survive at what cost?

We are seeing today a dramatic increase in disease that are linked directly to the faillure of the body's immune defence mechanisms.

We are seeing diseases never before encountered, such as MRSA and avian flu, against which we appear to have little immunity.

many workers in the field of environmental medicine believe that our new vulnerability is a consequence of of our diet of devitalised foods,

the product of agribusiness and global contamination.

Even if you eat a healthy diet all the experts advise,

vegetables

fressh fruit

salads

wholegrains

nuts and seeds, you may be short of the vital nutrients that you think you are getting in abundance.''

taken from the book 'Super Foods, Super Fast' Eat your way to superhealth

The old adage, ''you are what you eat'' comes to mind

• Jude77
    Jude77

I don't know much about faith healers, but I do know that the placebo effect can be more powerful than actual treatment.

Semi related example: http://www.mindbodyhealth.com/kneesurgery.htm

Paranormal / esoteric stuff in general though?

People with no experience on the matter will scream at you 'til they're blue in the face that there's no such thing as anything paranormal, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that this is not the case. Let the Dawkins "Magic of Reality" bombardment begin.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Depending on where I live, osteopaths are considered scoundrels or well respected physicians. It is confusing.

I tried Chinese herbs. NY has special laws for Chinese medicine. I just walked into a Chinese doctor's office. Unlike most of Chinatown, it was immacutely clean. The Chinese doctor examined me for about twenty minutes, conducting tests that are not Western. I was skeptical. She consulted an immense Chinese medical book and told me very tactfully that she could not help me. Perhaps I could build my immune system. I emerged with about 50 packets of a special blended teas. I later called a Chinese friends from Shanghai and Hong Kong. My closest friend was furious with me. She said Chinese people in China go to remarkable lengths to get Western medicine. The only Chinese medicine used with with people too poor to buy Western medicine. How could I be so stupid! She hung up the phone on me. Oh, she also said I am NOT Chinese. How do I know if because I am European stock, the herbs are not poison to me.

I drank the teas anyway. My apartment smelled so bad for years after. You have to cook them in special pots for many hours. When I ran into Chinese American friends from high school, I told them b/c I saw their mothers give them special teas. They said I knew better from hanging out with their families. They said I knew about Chinese farms in NJ. What dangerous pesticides was I ingesting. Do I think a cold water rinse for 30 seconds removes deadly toxins.

I don't know.

My surgeon dragged me to a Qi Gong practicioner who was also a surgeon at Columbia. It was bizarre. He put out his finger and "charged' a piece of paper. My body responded differently. Maybe it was a scam I don't know. I truly believe something happens now.

Next, a nice Pentecostal faith healer. Not a typical Pentecostal crowd. Very well educated crowd. Fifth people are slain and revived by the Holy Spirit. They fall back better than prof. dancers. Very slowly and their eyes roll up towards their foreheads. I was so afraid of demons invading me from her (I do not believe in demons but the fear remains) that I consulted a priest. He said no way I can be hurt. My mom, gf, and I were the last ones to go up. I felt nothing. She raised her voice and was more dramatic with her arm to slay me. Nothing. She moved on to the remaining two. Nothing. Not even any emotional feeling. Yet a woman speaking tongues with tacky polyester clothes reached out to me and uttered commands. My JW inner child was quaking. It was interesting. To my surprise, I had no trauma. No demons bothered me.

• *lost*
    *lost*

band thanks

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my neck. Doc said there was nothing he could do but provide painkillers. I asked if there was any reason not to try Chiroracty (he said 'I don't see why not') - had lots of relief. Same result for knee problem that physio said needed surgery - this time acupuncture. I'm not saying it proves anything for anyone else but it's good enough for me. Osteopath fixed a shoulder problem that had gradually got worse over three weeks in a single tratement.

Tried osteopath and acupuncture for a frozen shoulder - helped a bit but finally fixed with a steroid injection and physio.

I did my research on Chiropracty and it isn't without some risk however the painkillers recommended by Doc have numerous side effects too. I wouldn't hesitate to try complimentary medicine in conjunction with conventional medicine to find something that worked.

Also tried Green Lipped Mussel extract on dogs (vet recommended) for arthritis (and on my mum! - not the dog chew). Great results with dog, great results for mum (could be placebo for mum, but not sure dogs really understood what was going on lol). No medical evidence based on double-blind trials.

I'd say try complimentary medicine for a period to see if it works for you. If you get benefits and avoid drugs and surgery, even for a while it may be worth it. Personally I'd always start by consulting Doc unless you know for sure what the problem is. Do your research too. Keep an open mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit