t"heir" - possessive (because no "ear"
    but does contain heir - person

y'our' - possessive - yours mine & our
    you're - always say long form silently when you contract - you are

Fun huh?

• mommy
    mommy

LOL Lisa,
    Would you believe me if I told you I often think of this thread when I am deciding which "t" word to use? I am so ashamed of my writing skills, the only writing I did in my day to day life was minimal and even with work we had alot of abbreviations, so I did not use those skills at all. I have learned alot in the past year, not just grammatically either My first post here I did all in caps, how was I to know that was a big sin on the net? I thought it would be easier to read...lol

Hope that baby is letting you rest some
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

My two pet peeves:

"I could care less if you believe in God."

Okay. If you could care less then why don't you? Obviously, you couldn't care less.

"Ir-regardless of what you think, I still don't believe in God."

Ir-regardless? There is no such word. It should be, "Regardless of what you think, I still don't believe in God."

Andi

• Englishman
    Englishman

I wander why Ime ansering this.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I have my pet peeves but I make lots of mistakes myself and over do the clichés.

However, posting messages and chatting on the Internet is not the same as writing a business letter or writing your résumé. The language of the Internet is dynamic and evolving. It has its own vocabulary and a unique writing style. Spelling and grammatical rules of ordinary written language do not apply in fast moving discussion boards and chat. They may apply to published articles where the standard of language affects the credibility of the writer. But on boards like this who cares whether the poster is word perfect?

Spell-checkers may correct simple typos but often in the speed of making a reply ‘to, too and two’ get inter-mixed as do a host of other words. I’d rather have a person make a reply than hesitate for fear of criticism that the writing is not perfect. I don’t care, generally I get the gist of the message.

When we speak no-one has to correct our spelling and Internet discussion boards are an extension of the spoken word not the written language of the novel writer.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• dubla
    dubla

i hope nytel and fred read this thread.

aa

• conflicted
    conflicted

I've always been a pretty good speller, but I have trouble knowing what word goes where.

So I took a course at "The Weller School of Grammar".

I learned a gooder way of speaking for others to understanding me best.
    It has made a really better difference in my talk.
    You too can learned to talk gooder with the "Weller Grammar Program", just like I.
    It's easy and funner when you can use best words rightly.
    Give it a try!
    If you can't be better happy, they will giving your money back freely.

When more many peoples learned the "Weller Grammar Program" they would better like to teach them in the schools for kids to speaking with better grammar too.
    Then most people can speak weller and no more trouble having we on how to use words bestest.

• LDH
    LDH

btt for (well, she knows)

Lisa

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Spell Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word