DATING THE BOOK OF REVELATION - new article

by EdenOne 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I sm no disciple of Elaine. Your lack of sophistication is embarassing. Yes, I was so bold as to attend an elite colllege. Elaine would not have her seat warm if she taught only her own biases. We were free to disagree with her. She was respectful. In fact, she overheard us griping about the publish or perish directive at the university. We had Nobel Prize winners and profs very famous in their fields. The problem was that we were not advanced grad students. We were college students and most profs cannot teach to save their lives. Someone great teacher we adored was denied tenure. She remarked how important publish or perish was. She said she could tell us anything outrageous and we would not know better.

She told us of her travails publishing her first book. To make certain her scholarship contributed to the field and she was not distorting anything, she had to meet with Koestler at Harvard. Next, she had to go to Europe to meet with German scholars. She was very young. It was her first time. She said she was terrified. Meeting and subjecting your work to peers is the only test of whether you have heft. If you would ever reference an academic database, you would find exacting reviews of each scholar's work. My feeling is that the NT field is still relatively small so the criticism of each new work is high.

Exposing yourself to others and not finding what you want to find is the first mark of maturity. It separates true college students from high school students. Real life is not a high school book report. As I said, I am not the only person here who knows the scholarsihp. Drink more Kool-Akd and surprise us with nonsensical findings. You should be aware of your bias. Do you think that I have an imaginary Jesus in my mind and heart" He is blonde haired, blue eyed, and a Shakesperean actor. HIs eyes have special drops in them so he stands out more. The cinematogrohphy emphasies Jesus and deemphasizes the bystanders. My Jesus never trips on stones. He moves like a Gazelle. What is more my Jesus clears up centuries of fighting within the church about his nature. Jesus boldly states "I am God. I am the Son of Man." He then recites the Nicene Creed.

My Jesus loves the Beatles and Dylan. Mary , his mother, Mary Magdalene, and Mary and Martha are the most beuatiful women in the world. My Jesus approves of every thing I do. This is not remarkable. Look at Rembrandt paintings. He is Dutch Middle Class. Yet when Salvador Dali or Andu Warhol paint jesus, he is postmodern.

Grow up.

• mP
    mP

EdenOne:

How do you address the number of the beast actually spelling Nero caesar in geomatria and many significant symbols being retelling of neros escapades ?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

mP

I confess my ignorance when it comes to numerology. I can't give you an informed answer about that.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

My Jesus approves of every thing I do

My my, we definitively live in different worlds. Or we're talking about different Jesuses. Or perhaps you're perfect. I can't decide what it is.

- Matthew 7:21

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Darnit, you made me look under the hood.

Glad I did :)

Only three of the seven cities in Revelation are mentioned elsewhere in the bible.

Correct. In fact here it is:

Ephesus: Revelation 2:1 ; Ephesians 1:1; Acts 19:1

Thyatira: Revelation 2:18; Acts 16:14

Laodicea: Revelation 3:14; Colossians 4:15

But the lack of cross-references with other parts of the Bible renders the other four invalid? There's abundant extra-biblical evidence of the existence of these cities. The lack of internal evidence within the Bible proves nothing; The cross-referencing within the Bible constitutes evidence. I don't see a difficulty here.

Eden

• *lost*
    *lost*

Eden one

Haven't read it all peoperly, just skimmed through, will read it later.

Just want to give you words of support. Keep at it.

regards

• mP
    mP

EdenOne

mP

I confess my ignorance when it comes to numerology. I can't give you an informed answer about that.

Eden

MP:

Geomatria is not numerology. In some ancient languages what we call letters did double duty as numbers. A might have been 1, B = 2, J = 10 and so on. Anyway if you write Nero Caesar In Hebrew and read it back as a number you get 616. Its a known fact that the oldest fragment have 616 not 666 in Rev.

There are many xians religions trying to make the confusing text in Rev apply to their times. JW have one take and there are many hundreds of years before who also thought the same. If you analyze the text and know of Neros lifetime one can see how some of the symbols are perfect matches for Nero. The author is simply angry at Nero and he hopes that someone will destroy him for the pain that Caesar has inflicted ont he jews. Im not taking sides all im saying is Revelation is historical account of that time with a fanciful or even hopeful outcome that of course never happens.

Nero was also the 7 and believed to be 10th caesar. At the time many believed that he was resurrected and he is our anti christ in Rev.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_beast

The Greek spelling, "Neron Kaisar", transliterates into Hebrew as ???? ??? or "nrvn qsr". Adding the corresponding values yields 666, as shown:

Resh (?)Samech (?)Qof (?)Noon (?)Vav (?)Resh (?)Noon (?)TOTAL

By contrast, the Latin title for Nero is spelled simply "Nero Caesar", which transliterates to “??? ???” or "nrv qsr" and has a value of 616, which may explain that variation in some manuscripts. [30]

Resh(?)Samech (?)Qof (?)Vav (?)Resh (?)Noon (?)TOTAL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero_Redivivus_legend

Dio Chrysostom , a Greek philosopher and historian, wrote "seeing that even now everybody wishes [Nero] were still alive. And the great majority do believe that he still is, although in a certain sense he has died not once but often along with those who had been firmly convinced that he was still alive." [4] Augustine of Hippo wrote that some believed "he now lives in concealment in the vigor of that same age which he had reached when he was believed to have perished, and will live until he is revealed in his own time and restored to his kingdom." [1] In later forms of the legend, among many early Christians , this legend shifted to a belief that Nero was the Antichrist . [1]

Some bible scholars see the description of the wounding and healing of the Beast in Revelation 13:3 and the mention of the eighth king who is also one of the earlier seven kings in Revelation 17:8-11 as allusions to the Nero redivivus legend. [9]

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm not questioning the integrity of the bible books in and of themselves, but the futility of using them for dating without referring to an outside source. If, for instance, we have a bible passage that says, "In the days of Herod", we might look for references to Herod in other works. Succession of Kings and years was a pretty common method of dating.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I can't think of anyone who'd want to actively date Revelation.

Casual sex, maybe, but that's it.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Vidiot, your mind is always on the gutter

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit