Prodigal Son DVD, Seen it? Totally Unrealistic to me. You?

by Wasanelder Once 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

If I remember at our district when they announced the drama, before it started they said that it would "pull at your heart strings and produce great emotion." So no doubt the people cried. How can you really be moved watching horrible overacted hand waving from 1000 feet away with babies crying and people sleeping and walking around?

It reminds me of those videos of people in North Korea who were crying uncontrollable and so sad that when their oppressive leader died. Of course, they were sad... because they were told they would be

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Just watchted it with the family. I cracked jokes through the whole thing. Everyone laughed. My wife said ," That wife looks like Edith Bunker." LOL!! When the mom and dad were singing Kingdom Melodies in the kitchen I whispered to my kid, " Those people are insane." More laughter.. In real life that guy would have been DF'd for sure. The Borg are really pimping themselves.

Honestly it screamed cult. It was like a Mormon after-school special.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Haven't seen it but can imagine it. Really, the world is not that bad. I work with teenagers and the majority of them are nice kids who are sensible and decent. There's always gonna be idiots who drink and drive and mangle their cars(I've known ones who've done it), but all this crap about ending up on the street and some girl meeting you and taking you straight to bed is very unrealistic. Unless she gave him a bill when she was done.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I would love for a non-jw to watch it. It would nice to get an outsiders perspective. I think it showed the mental imbalance and warped view of JW's. I don't think they meant for that to happen. There is nothing wrong with a real job. There is nothing wrong with moving to the city. According to the scriptures, there is nothing wrong with marrying a non-JW Christian. So why can't you date one?

There is nothing wrong with having room-mates. Or having a dirty/messy room. So your room-mates have a party, so what? Have a beer, or don't. Go in your room, lock the door, put on headphones and sleep. That's life. No one makes you party with them. If that kid was allowed to have a somewhat normal existence, without the WTBTS control, then he probably could have handled the pressure. Really, that's the point of the WTBTS control, isn't it? Many who leave can't handle the real world. They come back as an example of what happens to straying sheeple. This reinforces the myths that the GB teach.

They love the worst-case scenario that happens now and then. Then they can say, " We told you so. Come back to Jehovah. "

• Listener
    Listener

Ah yes, that old saying 'I told you so'. I ws also told that it was in very bad manners to make a point of this and it served no one any benefit other than making yourself look puffed up.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i remember this drama, it really struck me that they acted like JW's who played video games were evil. and also how moving out of your house to live with another JW was bad, and that getting a job outside of the family buisness was bad. and the thing that was really insane was when the child left the house, the mother lamented that this was like "death!". He was NOT DF'd!! He simply got a JOB, and moved in with a brother!!!! My jaw dropped as this was so over the top insane that this is simply not the same religion i was a part of. they have gone way over the deep end. and i do wonder if they are going to have a jim jones moment as some point.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea all my "worldly" friends love to drive drunk, crash, and run from the police.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

A very interesting point was made on Bible-Discussion.com.

The prodigal son was welcomed back no questions asked, immediatly, even before he got home. The other brother who was the "good" son was jealous and pious. He actually resembles the pharasiees, obeying all the rules and getting bent out of shape when the "lawless" one is treated more special than he is. What happens with this "good" son? The jealous, bent out of shape, following the rules to the letter one?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea non jw, it's a good point, and one that should actually be a case against the dubs. Son comes back, Dad is thrilled and receives him, Jealous son who is concerened about rules and regulations is bitter and voices his disapproval. Who do the dubs resemble?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Nice point Yourmomma,

He was considered spiritually dead, not because he was df'd, but because he was not keeping an insane WTBTS sanctioned " spiritual routine."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit