CAN YOU BE AN 'APOSTATE' IF YOU WERE NEVER BAPTIZED?

by Mary 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Blondie, this is from the Young People Ask book:

*** yp chap. 39 p. 318 How Can I Get Close to God? ***

“I think a lot of young people hesitate to get baptized,” observed a youth named Robert. “They fear it’s a final step that they can’t back out of.” True, one cannot back out of a dedication to God. (Compare Ecclesiastes 5:4.) But “if one knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him”—baptized or unbaptized! (James 4:17) The issue is, Do you appreciate God’s friendship? Are you moved to want to serve him forever? Then do not let fear hinder you from proclaiming yourself a friend of God!

• blondie
    blondie

That's the one, Scully.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What if God withdraws from your dedication? Perhaps He wants you free to worship other gods. Maybe he isn't so jealous after all.

This is fear.

• minimus
    minimus

He's in the apostate class.

• Scully
    Scully

The thing is, when I got Baptized™ in 1980, I did NOT make a dedication to an organization. Here is what I said YES to:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him the Father through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightenment of the holy spirit?" ~ Watchtower 1956 Jul 1 p.407

Five years later, they change the rules and try to say that I agreed to this:

The first question is:
    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism." ~ Watchtower 1985 Jun 1 p.30

The problem with this is that they have removed from me the privilege of having "the enlightenment of the holy spirit" or having God's will revealed directly to me through Jesus and through the Bible. Instead, I must be part of an organization that claims to be spirit directed, without having any recourse when they screw up. I can't disagree with them. I can't petition them for clarification. I can't openly refute their teachings. I have to shut my mouth in order to remain in association with the people I care about, in order to maintain a relationship with my family and friends. If I can't do that, I am risking social suicide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit