Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker)

by glenster 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• glenster
  • StAnn
    StAnn

Didn't hear she had died. A real loss. I loved Edith. When I was growing up and we saw All In The Family for the first time, we almost rolled in the floor laughing because Archie and Edith were so much like our parents. Although my mother has never been as benevolent as Edith, just more of the dingbat side!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Stifle!!!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It hurts that she is gone. She was such a great actress. I wonder if she was typecast as Edith. She said she wanted to play with her grandchildren when they killed Edith on All in the Family. It was a very tough episode. She was the light of the show.

• designs
    designs

She was a sweet person to meet, we met her at a rehersal in Los Angeles. My sister in law toured with Jean in one of her Plays, Daisy Maime.

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

My parents watched All in teh Family when it first aired. My brother and I grew up watching the reruns. We thought the show was hilarious and Edith was just like my Gramma. I'm glad Jean lived a long and happy life.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I only saw her a few times when she played herself at special events. She was so glamorous.

Altho I did not know her, it hurts. Edith is dead. My aunt was so similar. So much of the writing on All in the Family does not stand up to changing times. The arguments between Archie and Meathead are trite and stuck in the 60s. Edith, however, showed a complexity of character that helps the show stand up to time. As the show progressed, the writing improved. There were even well written scenes that showed the reality behind the Archie/Mike banter.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I've never seen the episode where Edith died. Would like to see that one.

• glenster
  • clarity
    clarity

I just watched the "last" episode........

It is just as sad as it was all those years ago.

RIP Edith .............we've missed you since ARCHIE ended....

but now you are really gone.....hard to believe.

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit