Name Jehovah

by allyouneedislove 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Catholics themselves wonder why JW's/WTBT$ took an invented Catholic name for God, for their own organization:

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/is-gods-name-yahweh-or-jehovah

• *lost*
    *lost*

Also we need to consider 'who' was in charge of the Bible books, and who was ruling society, religion and politics at the time.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

When you think about why don't today's Hebrews/Jews use Jehovah ? .... because its not inherent to their own language and culture.

The name Jehovah was supposedly created by a German Catholic monk using Latin, so that ironically makes the JWS using a name created by false Christendom.

Since the JWS have been created by false deceiving means surrounding and supporting a Publishing House (WTS.)

this must make them even more caustic in the eyes YHWH.

• Lore
    Lore

I appreciate the comments, but I am once again I am not getting a direction answer to my question.

You asked two questions: Is Yahweh an english translation of the name?

Answer: No. But it is a transliteration of the name. Meaning it's an attempt at using English letters to form the same sound that was made by ancient Hebrews.

A translation of the name would be "I AM"

Second question: So, if Yahweh is not a translation to english, why not simply use Jehovah?

Because 'Jehovah' is not a translation either, it's simply an inferior transliteration.

• allyouneedislove
    allyouneedislove

@ Lore:

Thanks for helping me out with a straightforward answer. You all must understand that I have read but still do not understand the use & transliteration of YHWH.

Lore: You said

"You asked two questions: Is Yahweh an english translation of the name?

Answer: No. But it is a transliteration of the name. Meaning it's an attempt at using English letters to form the same sound that was made by ancient Hebrews."

How is Yahweh the best transliteration of YHWH when it does not even contain a "J"? I mean, we use Jeremiah, Jacob, etc. So, wouldn't the transliteration be something along the lilnes of 'Jah', it is was being transliterated to English?

Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit