were friendships in other congregations discouraged?

by hoser 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I remember as a teen the elders warning us about the "city" youth in urban congregations, I lived in a small rural territory and it was the elder's opinion that the city congregations were a little fast and loose with their youth, and they were getting in more trouble "dirty dancing"....we were counseled to not hang out with them as a group without adult chaperone's present

CHG

• Moses Unedited
    Moses Unedited

In my 30 years in the organization, I had never heard of this. It was quite common for all of us to associate with, and ever work in field service with ones in neighboring congregations. The Elders that I knew spent quite a lot of time with friends in other congregations with no complaints from anyone.

I’m wondering if this was just the rigid opinions of some local yokel Elders. One aspect of “Local Needs” talks I noticed was that it could be largely shaped by the personal feelings, intuitions, and bias of a local body of Elders. They could have certain pet peeves about where friends choose to sit in the hall, people getting up to go to the bathroom during the meeting, certain fashions, or people spending too much time on recreation. The talks are often deliberately vague as to try not to “call out” any specific individuals, while prompting people to take the messages personally.

And to be quite honest, many of us did not take these talks very seriously. Many of them seemed very childish and pedestrian, much like someone reminding an adult to chew their food properly, or to lock their car doors.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

When I attended the Nazi congregation, (Woodly park), this was strongly discouraged. My former FIL, then the PO, would often state out loud, "Why would anyone associatte outside the congregation." This was repeated by the other elders. My response? "Worldwide brotherhood? Don;t we attend assemblies with other congregations several times a year?"

But I agree with the isloation commenbt. People are easier to control. And other elder bodies were more reasonanble.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HOSER: The religion would prefer people be in one place where they can KNOW how regular they are, etc. Many people start a "fade" by saying they are going someplace else or "visiting". Then they stop going. This is all good, of course, for the person who wants out of the religion. The religion doesn't like it because they don't know which congregation's hounders are supposed to track down said person. A cat and mouse game begins.

• earthfire
    earthfire

Our hall was known as "the bad hall" so others weren't supposed to associate with any of us. lol

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

No,in this area there are several congregations close together. It wasn't discouraged. There were even joint picnics and dances.

I never read anything in the literature. It was just encouraged to have friends that were baptized Witnesses in good standing. It didn't matter what hall they attended.

Sounds like these elders were rather backward,even for Witnesses,and giving out their personal opinoins.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

yes and so was switching congregations... but oddly enough the only anointed person I ever knew lived right down the street .. but went to the other congregation at our hall.. I guess she didn't care to much for jehovahs arrangments.. lol

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Wow, if that's true it got even more ridiculous after I left, or wasn't mentioned here(?)

I know we were supposed to attend meetings in our assigned area or you looked like you had a real attitude problem. As for friendships outside the cong... never heard anything like that. Wow, it's even worse than I remembered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit