Ladies, do you think you have public speaking skills because of Theocratic Ministry School?

by Iamallcool 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Those are not public speaking roles. I call them step'n; fetch it worships the penis roles. Few brothers have public speaking skills. I struggle with public speaking myself b/c I was taught to never voice an opinon. Whatever I sad had no merit. Now my younger brother-wow. A brother.

It is a useful skill. I studied the topic and took some courses. The problem is that no book or course can teach you how to do it. You have to do it in real life, over and over again. A major public speaker told us that if you let yourself get rusty, the skill disappears. There were several lawyers who forced themselves to speak to the class b/c their jobs demanded it. They acknowledged their fright. If you do it often enough, it is not so bad. Some nerves give you an edge.

The Witness format is limited. I understand there are outlines. Stray too far and an elder will take action.

Part of my fear stems from Ministry School. I was in the fourth grade when I started. My voice did a funny thing b/c of a severe cold and the entire KH laughed. It may be appropriate with an adult's voice making funny sounds. Children are a different story. As soon as I sat down, from my memorized speech, the criticisms started. The brother grading me was more or less illiterate. He sold very cheap shoes and had a penis. Every time I had a MS whatever my school work and social life suffered. My whole body was a mess of nerves. It was terror.

Later, people wanted to hear my input. All right. I can't blame the org for the way some dummies handled children. perhaps a different KH would have a different crowd. I know part of my academic achievement and leaving Jersey was fueled by a desire to escape such people. My present church embraces almost everyone. Lord knows I have sat through some bad Sunday School presentations. Children should be nurtured and celebrated. Life is hard enough with a postive attitude.

Women have NO public role in the Witnesses. I once remarked to my grandmother that if Jehoover wanted to limit our horizons to the confining role within the Witnesses and our families, he should have created a profoundly mentally challenged woman. I wonder how different things are today. My experiences are very old. Has it changed with the times?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

NO! As rip said, all I learned was how to do a small skit in a play on a stage. Public speaking - facing a group of people and talking directly to them - terrified me and I was bad at it. I improved later as an adult when I (temporarily) got into sales.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

No, not really. You are just reading lines from a bad play. Sitting at a table, trying to read scriptures with a microphone blocking your view of your bible. I never, ever used any of the info from my talks in field service...but then I hated field service, I cannot remember anything with numbers in it. Memorizing scripture numbers had been virtually impossible. When reading an address or writing one down, I usually write the numbers from front to back, which causes crazy mix-ups. So does attempting to read Psalm 18:38 which should have been Psalm 83:18...

• Moses Unedited
    Moses Unedited

Let me ask you former sisters something: did any of you wish you could make up outlandish settings to liven up your talks, such as: “making a return visit at a honky-tonk bar”, or “witnessing to another passenger on the Universal Studios tram”? My mind often wandered onto such things.

On another point, the one thing that amused me about the sister's talks, was how a sister could convert a trinitarian to the JW point of view within a mere five minutes!

• blondie
    blondie

I learned public speaking in school...I had to face the audience. Scripted talks....imagine handing the person at the door their answers and comments....but that is what many do at the KHs...not me. I had an outline. Theme Introduction 2 points - scriptures Conclusion All in 5 minutes (is it 4 now?) Drove the sisters nuts that were my "householder" not having a script.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Blondie,

The scripted conversation completely undid the skills sought. To make matters worse, I practiced endlessly at home with my mom. She worked evgs-a good excuse to not attend meetings. My father grabbed a sister at the last minute. She flubbed her lines. The only one I remember was the Moses' lifting up the serpent idol. There was no natural flow to the scripture or the WT articles.

It was so bad it is funny now.

I admire your spunk. Terror overcame me.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I wrote my own outlines and tried to make it sound like something that would come up in conversation but some of the topics were so obscure. I usually scripted my householder's part and entirely in case she couldn't think on her feet, and said she could change expressions and words to suit her style. Usually worked really well and everyone would praise me up after.

I did yet counseled once tho and made to work on 'words clearly understood' by a high school drop out school overseer for using the word 'totalitarian' in a talk. I was livid because I got failed because I was smarter than the one with the penis.

• 5go
    5go

Heck as a brother I never got any Public speaking skills.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Besides, compared to preparing 15 minute university seminars than moving on to teaching 3 or 4 70 minute lessons a day as a senior high school teacher, a five minute skit at the hall was a doddle and over before I blinked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit