Can you help me encourage Reopened mind.

by TotallyADD 42 Replies latest jw friends

• nugget
    nugget

When people are dealing with difficult times in their lives they can lash out. Sometimes we lash out at those we love the most because we feel safe doing so knowing that they will love us unconditionally and forgive us when the tantrum is over. It can be easier to look for people to blame rather than make peace with the past and move forward.

You know that you did the best you could. This is an outpouring from your child who is struggling to come to terms with the past but you do not need to be defined by them. Time is a great healer and can lend perspective. When I first met my husband he had a great hatred for his father who had divorced his mother. He was extremely bitter about how his father had behaved. However we did get in touch with him and realised that the past had been distorted and that what my husband believed was not based on truth. They were able to make peace and gain an appreciation and true affection for one another.

Your son will come to his senses and then he will appreciate how lucky he is to have loving parents.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

flipper: As usual you come through with good advice and encouragement. Our son's authentic personality and cult personality are at war with each other and at present his cult personality is winning. What is ironic is the same JW therapist that my DIL is trapped by diagnosed my husband with ADD and helped him clear his mind so that he woke up from the cult. I, too, saw her briefly. She told me I was normal and didn't need therapy. Only those who have been-there-done-that can truly understand. TotallyADD and I are beginning to understand the pain of being shunned. Your daughters are still young and so are you. It is our wish for you that they don't waste too much more of your precious lifetimes hating the ones who love them unconditionally. Surely you have implanted in them enough of an authentic personality that it can find its way out. Your comments on JWN have been an anchor for us as we exited the cult. The part I appreciate the most is when I comment on one of your threads you give a reply. That makes me feel like I have been heard.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

nugget: I am happy for your husband and his father. His experience shows the importance of hearing both sides of the story before making any judgments. I know my son needs some time and space to mature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit