What I Have Learned

by Sunflower1982 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sunflower1982
    Sunflower1982

Hello Everyone! This is my first post here, so I guess I should introduce myself J I'm a 19-year-old college student in Baltimore, Maryland. I was involved with JWs on and off for about 4 years and, after being baptized for a little over a year, I stopped attending meetings. Although my time as a JW was very brief (compared to the decades many people have spent in the organization) it is amazing how much my experience as a JW has affected my life.

It has taken a great deal of time and thought for me to sever my ties with the organization, but it was a decision that I will never regret making. I have learned so much about myself and mankind that is simply incompatible with the teaching of the WTBTS, and the best part is that I learned all of these things on my own. I didn't need an elder or a pioneer to tell me what to think or to categorize what was right and what was wrong. I know now that I am just as capable as everyone else of living, learning, loving, and understanding the people around me.

I guess that is what got me entangled in this religion to begin with. I didn't believe in myself. I wanted absolute truth, and I really believed that some religion out there had to have it. So, when I started studying with JWs, I was enchanted by their façade of confidence and rightness. They had answers for every question I could think of, I just never stopped to wonder if they were the right answers or not. Being a troubled teen, I was also drawn into the "brotherhood' that existed in the religion. What I perceived as spiritual family ties were really tourniquets cutting off my life with every "worldly" person around me. In hindsight, it seems almost as it was all planned out, like some kind of hunt or something.

I've had some deeply painful experiences, like most JWs. But what I have gone through is not what is important because so many others have experience much worse than what I have. The important thing is that I have seen through the deception and saved my life before I was completely drained of any will to think freely. My heart aches for those who are still involved in the WTBTS, many of which will never leave. But I cannot dwell on things that I cannot control. All I can do is be grateful for my insight, and find/share as much happiness as possible.

So, despite the pain I went through being a JW, I really am thankful for the lessons that I have learned. In leaving the WTBTS, I learned that beauty is not only in physical diversity, but in mental diversity as well. Individuality and creativity in thought are what make the world turn. It wasn't until my own individuality started to diminish, as a result of what I was being taught, that I realized something was wrong. I found that passion (at least mine) cannot survive in a religion where there is no freedom to explore. Now I am strong and I know to never let anyone control my heart/mind again J

I'm sure your eyes are worn from reading this long drawn out post, but thanks for caring enough to share in my experience. I look forward to drawing support and encouragement from all you!

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Welcome

Even though the price was high, I think the lessons learned were most valuable and I'm not sure if they could have been appreciated to this degree if they had not come about through adversity.

You should be grateful to have discovered these things at such a young age. Good for you.

Path

• Sirona
    Sirona

Welcome! I really enjoyed your post. I, too, got involved during my teens and only left after 11 years. I'm glad you could realise and leave so soon :)

Sirona

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hello and welcome.

• Kristen
    Kristen

:I'm a 19-year-old college student in Baltimore

Sunflower,
    Congratulations for learning what many of us wish we did at such an early age. When I was 19 I was getting married and thought this *system* would be long gone before I hit 30. College was the furthest from my mind. Well, that's all changed now and I figured some things out too—thankfully before I spent my entire youth serving men.

You are well on your way. Enjoy your new life!

Kristen
    who just turned 30

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

(happy birthday Kristen.. Congratulations on where you've gotten yourself and thanks for all your help)

Path

• JBean
    JBean

Welcome Sunflower! I am simply amazed and happy to see that you, being so young, have made a wise choice with both schooling AND departure from the organization. I, like Kristin, was married (for the 1st time... yikes!) at 19 right out of high school and thought the new system would be here before I reached true adulthood in my late 20's or so... how vague could something POSSIBLY be, right?!?!). Well... I'm just now back in college... and have a fabulous boyfriend (non JW) who is sooo encouraging with all that I want to do now in my life. Being free to explore on your own and find out who we individually are is key! Keep up the good work and I look forward to more of your posts. -- Jbean (this year am 40!!!)

• JT
    JT

Hi

and welcome

my wife and I are in DC she works in College Park up by the University of MD

give me yell sometime-- 202-336-8792

James

• Kristen
    Kristen

Path,

• TheStar
    TheStar
    I found that passion (at least mine) cannot survive in a religion where there is no freedom to explore. Now I am strong and I know to never let anyone control my heart/mind again.

Boy can I relate to that statement! Welcome Sunflower. I read your DA post before reading this.

JT,

You're such a good guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit